Re: [BackpackingLight] LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot ?

  • sawyer7271
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
      Re: Mule tape:

      I have about 3000' of 1850 lb 5/8" wide mule tape. It works great, and is inexpensive. You can even sew loops in this stuff with a standard sewing machine. For a troop or individual, it's a good way to get started.

      My daughter is selling 100' lengths for $5 +$5 shipping. (it takes a lot of work to detangle the mess we get) Scout troops: we can fill a medium flat-rate box with 600' (enough for 20 hammocks) Special pricing for scout troops... all profits go to pay for a cultural outreach trip to Australia in July for my daughter.

      Heck, I use mule tape instead of rope now, it holds knots well (and releases them), doesn't stretch, and is strong enough to tow a car in a pinch.

      John
    • EHamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
        Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

        >As long as you are below the timberline, it is a lot easier to find trees
        than flat spots. :]
        >Hammock hangers sleep cool, you will have cold air under you. I put a
        thermarest under me.

        I guess I'm the only one who's had trouble finding places to hang. I took my
        Hennessy on a 4-night trip (Maryland section of AT) and it was hard to find
        trees the right size and right distance apart with no trees or saplings too
        close to the sides and no briars or bushes underneath where the hammock would
        hang. You've got to have exactly the right space even though it doesn't have to
        be flat ground.

        I, too, sleep with a Thermarest in the hammock. I bought it with a full
        undercover/underpad system but I find it really cumbersome, hard to set up, and
        not that effective. Surprisingly, even though I "sleep cold," I was warm
        enough down to about 50* F, and only slightly chilly in mid-40's, with the TR
        under me and my 20* down bag fluffed all around me as a quilt (wearing extra
        clothes.) However, when we knew it was going down to about freezing, I didn't
        try, slept in the shelter. What a difference between the hard floor and the
        hammock, ouch. The hammock is extremely comfortable, better than my bed.

        However............ I do find it a pain to find the right hanging trees. Also,
        the hammock + the rainfly add up to more than some of the lightweight tents I'm
        interested in, and the Thermarest is heavier than the Big Agnes Thermacore I'd
        take if I were using a tent. And there are so many long strings (although I've
        learned to wind them up over my fingers and secure w/ rubber band for carrying.)
        I am still very much on the fence about tent vs. hammock (even vs. tarp only.)
        There's not much room in there at all.... if stranded somewhere for a few
        days by injury, illness, or weather it would be very confining, I think.

        MacGyver

        Finding places to hang:

        I live in Idaho surrounded by Natl Forest, there are always places to hang.
        As I explained to a skeptical scout dad: "I get to choose where we camp, and
        where I choose there will be trees.
        But there might not be a flat spot for your tent.
        As long as you are below the timberline, it is a lot easier to find trees
        than flat spots. :]

        Warmth:
        Hammock hangers sleep cool, you will have cold air under you. I put a
        thermarest under me.
        Other more inventive folks use underquilts and top quilts.

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
          Hmmm would some long straps or amsteel rope help you to find more
          available trees?

          Just thinkin...

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
            Maybe long straps. That's a good thought. As for amsteel..... not being
            experienced with hammocks and ropes and hangs I'm not sure what it is. Changing
            my ropes and lines scares me when I don't know what I'm doing. I'm really a
            newbie at this.

            MacGyver

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
              On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:26 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
              > Maybe long straps. That's a good thought. As for amsteel..... not being
              > experienced with hammocks and ropes and hangs I'm not sure what it is. Changing
              > my ropes and lines scares me when I don't know what I'm doing. I'm really a
              > newbie at this.
              >
              > MacGyver

              Careful, they will make you turn in your duct tape.... :]

              Amsteel is a super rope that is ultra light weight, google it.

              Or get some of the Mule tape that was offered here.
              A couple of 20 foot lengths with loops tied or sewed into each end.
              (use a water knot or a double double figure eight)

              Wrap around trees as needed to get the spread needed then tie your
              hammock to the straps or Amsteel with a hefty knot or 'biner. No
              modification of the hammock.

              While you are at it look up whoopie sling for an instantly infinitely
              adjustable hanging system.

              Hang tuff, hang tight

              Ralph
            • EHamilton
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
                Thanks, Ralph. I'll look it up.

                My moniker was bestowed on me for my proclivity for making things out of trash,
                not for any knowledge of already-existing technology :-)

                MacGyver