Re: [BackpackingLight] LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot ?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
      Question came from Backpacking light, cross posted on hammockcamping)

      On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:18 PM, shari <sharihikes@...> wrote:

      > Ralph,
      >
      > I'd be interested in the DIY hammock you mentioned. However, I'm a side
      > sleeper. Does a hammock, even a Hennessey, really work for side sleepers?

      OK here goes, the hammock's I make aren't like a hennessy (cadilac), mine
      are more like old VW bugs, (comfy, easy to fix, cute).
      Most of my ideas were developed by the group over on the hammock camping
      Yahoo group hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com.
      It's a place where we "all hang together".

      The folks at hammockforums.net also have a lot of expertise and some
      innovative ideas.

      My major inspiration is the famous Risk hammock (google it and be amazed).
      Ed Speers and Dave and Shane and Youngblood also inspired me. Enough
      already.

      I have made dozens of these hammocks with my scouts and their dads here in
      Pocatello (God's Country).
      Usually the dads are skeptical until we get them in one and they see their
      kids sleeping in one. Then they want one also.

      Material:
      Four yards of nylony non stretch material. Ripstop is nicer but not
      necessary. I get mine for $1.50 a yard at Walmart. (we still have a fabric
      section).
      Four yards seems like a lot but it's not, I'm a big guy, my favorite hammock
      uses five yards.

      Two 15 foot lengths of strapping or rope. You can use old motorcycle
      tiedowns (without the hardware), or 1/2 inch yellow poly rope, or mule tape
      (used by electricians).

      Mule tape is awesome stuff, holds 2,000 lbs. Find someone who works for the
      power company, or the phone company or a cable company. They throw it away
      all the time after a couple of uses.

      Making:
      NO Sewing!!!!! :]

      Grasp the material alongside the end about two inches down from the end in
      each hand.
      Start gathering with both hands heading towards the top center of the end.
      When done you should end up with something that looks like Batman's cowl,
      with little "ears" on either side like this --> 'w' .

      The "ears make it so the hammock "cups" and is very stable (my scouts have a
      hard time getting out)

      Next fold the material over about 6 inches from the end to make a loop (or
      bight).

      Use your strap to tie a double sheet-bend (like a regular sheet-bend but you
      do everything twice.
      Repeat on other end.

      Examine your workmanship. Stretch it out with a friend and see how it
      "cups". if it is not symmetrical re-tie an end etc. (or leave it, it
      probably won't matter)

      Hanging:
      Responsible hangers NEVER put a rope around a tree, if you didn't use
      straps, get some and make a long loop and tie to that.
      Hangers also use a special hammock hangers knot to distribute the load
      around a tree and not "bruise the bark".

      Shown here, but you don't need all the stuff on the end.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InwfA4_O12w

      Always check ALL your knots with your full weight before mounting your
      hammock. Especially if your skeptical spouse is watching. (yes there is a
      story there)

      Don't hang to tight, proper "sag" is about 30° for most folks. Experiment,
      yours may vary.

      Sleeping:
      Imagine a line from tree to tree. If you try to sleep on that line you will
      end up on your back with your knees locked (known as the "banana" position.
      After a few minutes. this becomes very uncomfortable.
      if you want to really get comfortable, sleep offset by about 15° from the
      centerline you will find a sweet spot where you can sleep almost flat (I
      need a small pillow).
      Once you find that spot, you can roll on your side, and almost stomach
      sleep.

      Sleeping hint 2: cross your ankles if you insist on sleeping on your back.

      Finding places to hang:

      I live in Idaho surrounded by Natl Forest, there are always places to hang.
      As I explained to a skeptical scout dad: "I get to choose where we camp, and
      where I choose there will be trees.
      But there might not be a flat spot for your tent.
      As long as you are below the timberline, it is a lot easier to find trees
      than flat spots. :]

      Warmth:
      Hammock hangers sleep cool, you will have cold air under you. I put a
      thermarest under me.
      Other more inventive folks use underquilts and top quilts.

      Rain:
      Run a separate line from tree to tree. hang a 8X10 blue tarp diagonally (so
      it covers the 13 foot of hammock).
      stake out the corners of course.
      If the weather is clear, I don't use one, and enjoy the stars.
      If it looks nasty I tie it low and tight.

      When it rains my scouts in tents invariably get wet from touching the side
      of their tents.
      My hanging scouts and their dads have ALWAYS stayed dry!!!

      You can watch stars all night
      You don't have to worry about that one last pine cone under your tent
      You will be sleeping so well you might miss breakfast.

      This is just a basic beginner DIY hammock.
      The hammock forums have lots of other suggestions about quilts, under
      quilts, bug screens, ridge lines, handing angles,
      dutch clips, whoopie slings (very very neat), Amsteel rope truck mounts,
      car mounts, racks, material and lots more.

      But if I ever have a choice I will never ever sleep on that hard bumpy
      ground again.
      Hammock hangers usually feel sorry for ground dwellers.

      Ralph (Hennesy Asym owner and maker of dozens of QEC (quick, easy, cheap)
      hammocks)

      PS if you hit me offline I can send you a link to some diagrams (along with
      my book of scout games)

      On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:18 PM, shari <sharihikes@...> wrote:

      > Ralph,
      >
      > I'd be interested in the DIY hammock you mentioned. However, I'm a side
      > sleeper. Does a hammock, even a Hennessey, really work for side sleepers?

    • sawyer7271
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
        Re: Mule tape:

        I have about 3000' of 1850 lb 5/8" wide mule tape. It works great, and is inexpensive. You can even sew loops in this stuff with a standard sewing machine. For a troop or individual, it's a good way to get started.

        My daughter is selling 100' lengths for $5 +$5 shipping. (it takes a lot of work to detangle the mess we get) Scout troops: we can fill a medium flat-rate box with 600' (enough for 20 hammocks) Special pricing for scout troops... all profits go to pay for a cultural outreach trip to Australia in July for my daughter.

        Heck, I use mule tape instead of rope now, it holds knots well (and releases them), doesn't stretch, and is strong enough to tow a car in a pinch.

        John
      • EHamilton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
          Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

          >As long as you are below the timberline, it is a lot easier to find trees
          than flat spots. :]
          >Hammock hangers sleep cool, you will have cold air under you. I put a
          thermarest under me.

          I guess I'm the only one who's had trouble finding places to hang. I took my
          Hennessy on a 4-night trip (Maryland section of AT) and it was hard to find
          trees the right size and right distance apart with no trees or saplings too
          close to the sides and no briars or bushes underneath where the hammock would
          hang. You've got to have exactly the right space even though it doesn't have to
          be flat ground.

          I, too, sleep with a Thermarest in the hammock. I bought it with a full
          undercover/underpad system but I find it really cumbersome, hard to set up, and
          not that effective. Surprisingly, even though I "sleep cold," I was warm
          enough down to about 50* F, and only slightly chilly in mid-40's, with the TR
          under me and my 20* down bag fluffed all around me as a quilt (wearing extra
          clothes.) However, when we knew it was going down to about freezing, I didn't
          try, slept in the shelter. What a difference between the hard floor and the
          hammock, ouch. The hammock is extremely comfortable, better than my bed.

          However............ I do find it a pain to find the right hanging trees. Also,
          the hammock + the rainfly add up to more than some of the lightweight tents I'm
          interested in, and the Thermarest is heavier than the Big Agnes Thermacore I'd
          take if I were using a tent. And there are so many long strings (although I've
          learned to wind them up over my fingers and secure w/ rubber band for carrying.)
          I am still very much on the fence about tent vs. hammock (even vs. tarp only.)
          There's not much room in there at all.... if stranded somewhere for a few
          days by injury, illness, or weather it would be very confining, I think.

          MacGyver

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
            Hmmm would some long straps or amsteel rope help you to find more
            available trees?

            Just thinkin...

            Ralph

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
              Maybe long straps. That's a good thought. As for amsteel..... not being
              experienced with hammocks and ropes and hangs I'm not sure what it is. Changing
              my ropes and lines scares me when I don't know what I'm doing. I'm really a
              newbie at this.

              MacGyver

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
                On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:26 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
                > Maybe long straps. That's a good thought. As for amsteel..... not being
                > experienced with hammocks and ropes and hangs I'm not sure what it is. Changing
                > my ropes and lines scares me when I don't know what I'm doing. I'm really a
                > newbie at this.
                >
                > MacGyver

                Careful, they will make you turn in your duct tape.... :]

                Amsteel is a super rope that is ultra light weight, google it.

                Or get some of the Mule tape that was offered here.
                A couple of 20 foot lengths with loops tied or sewed into each end.
                (use a water knot or a double double figure eight)

                Wrap around trees as needed to get the spread needed then tie your
                hammock to the straps or Amsteel with a hefty knot or 'biner. No
                modification of the hammock.

                While you are at it look up whoopie sling for an instantly infinitely
                adjustable hanging system.

                Hang tuff, hang tight

                Ralph
              • EHamilton
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
                  Thanks, Ralph. I'll look it up.

                  My moniker was bestowed on me for my proclivity for making things out of trash,
                  not for any knowledge of already-existing technology :-)

                  MacGyver