first post

  • kobold2
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
      hello everyone,
      i'm new to both this forum and hammocking & at last i'm posting this from mid-air in the backyard where i am spending my first night (13C/55F, no wind).
      it's a new sensation & i'll need some time to get used to it, but i like it so far.
      the only problem was that the tarp immediately developed a failure - a hook sewn from the same ripstop material got torn as i was tightening, but it was not a show-stopper :-)
      cheers!
    • EHamilton
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
        Hi there, keep us posted on how you're liking it.

        I get a very comfortable sleep in my hammock but I have not become a total
        convert to hammock camping. There are advantages, for sure, but I'm not positive
        they've outweighed those of a lightweight tent. I do like the versatility of the
        rainfly but I think I might be farther ahead just to carry that or a tarp and go
        to tarping. Except then there's bugs, both flying and crawling. Being up off the
        ground has definite pluses.

        MacGyver

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

          > Hi there, keep us posted on how you're liking it.

          second night in the backyard in progress. i am getting hooked to the sense of freedom; it's a great thing to be able to spend a night just about anywhere in such a comfort... i think it's not sagging enough, but i'm too lazy to go out and relax it. this night is 5C/9F warmer than last night (10C/50F) was. the supershelter and the space blanket is still in place and i am hot! got 4 tent pegs for the kit. this w/e i'll hang in real outdoors :-)
        • Brian H
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
            Hi,

            Check out www.tothewoods.net Just Jeffs page.  The section on ridgelines and sag
            is just what you need.

            After you figure out the sag, just attach the line and setup is a breeze.