Re: [Hammock Camping] How To Make Simple Soap

  • Tod Massa
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
      Yes, water and hardwood ash is to produce lye.

      You can indeed use olive oil, but the better soaps use a mix of oils. The soaps I make typically use a combination of olive oil, vegetable shortening, palm oil, and coconut oil.

      Tod

      Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
        Erm.., I don't think the point is to carry oil or fat into the woods to make
        soap, better to just carry soap. I think the point would be to make soap out
        of the by-products of your subsistence in the wild, say by using animal fat
        from animals that you have eaten? Skim the pot when you boil some meat for
        example.

        On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

        > This is pretty interesting. Wonder if it could be made with olive oil? It
        > probably wouldn't harden as well (if at all.) I don't carry lard or animal
        > fat
        > with me in the wild :-)
        >
        > MacGyver

        http://parkswhistles.com/