Re: [Hammock Camping] How To Make Simple Soap

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
      This is pretty interesting. Wonder if it could be made with olive oil? It
      probably wouldn't harden as well (if at all.) I don't carry lard or animal fat
      with me in the wild :-)

      MacGyver

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
        I believe the water and ash thing is to extract Lye (sodium hydroxide).
        Yes you can use olive oil but the process is much longer (time) with olive oil.
        Sapere Aude,

        Arye P. Rubenstein

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
          Yes, water and hardwood ash is to produce lye.

          You can indeed use olive oil, but the better soaps use a mix of oils. The soaps I make typically use a combination of olive oil, vegetable shortening, palm oil, and coconut oil.

          Tod

          Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
            Erm.., I don't think the point is to carry oil or fat into the woods to make
            soap, better to just carry soap. I think the point would be to make soap out
            of the by-products of your subsistence in the wild, say by using animal fat
            from animals that you have eaten? Skim the pot when you boil some meat for
            example.

            On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

            > This is pretty interesting. Wonder if it could be made with olive oil? It
            > probably wouldn't harden as well (if at all.) I don't carry lard or animal
            > fat
            > with me in the wild :-)
            >
            > MacGyver

            http://parkswhistles.com/