How To Make Simple Soap

  • camping123
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 12, 2010
      Hi All:
      Here's some useful information on how to make a simple soap while in the great outdoors:

      http://campingknowledge.yolasite.com/how-to-make-simple-soap-in-the-wild.php
    • EHamilton
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
        This is pretty interesting. Wonder if it could be made with olive oil? It
        probably wouldn't harden as well (if at all.) I don't carry lard or animal fat
        with me in the wild :-)

        MacGyver

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
          I believe the water and ash thing is to extract Lye (sodium hydroxide).
          Yes you can use olive oil but the process is much longer (time) with olive oil.
          Sapere Aude,

          Arye P. Rubenstein

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
            Yes, water and hardwood ash is to produce lye.

            You can indeed use olive oil, but the better soaps use a mix of oils. The soaps I make typically use a combination of olive oil, vegetable shortening, palm oil, and coconut oil.

            Tod

            Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
              Erm.., I don't think the point is to carry oil or fat into the woods to make
              soap, better to just carry soap. I think the point would be to make soap out
              of the by-products of your subsistence in the wild, say by using animal fat
              from animals that you have eaten? Skim the pot when you boil some meat for
              example.

              On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

              > This is pretty interesting. Wonder if it could be made with olive oil? It
              > probably wouldn't harden as well (if at all.) I don't carry lard or animal
              > fat
              > with me in the wild :-)
              >
              > MacGyver

              http://parkswhistles.com/