Re: [Hammock Camping] Fw: Nobile prize in physics

  • Spencer Bliven
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
      Mark–

      The Klymit stuff looks cool, although I'm not sure I want to lug gas
      canisters around. Do you have any experience with it yourself? I was
      wondering how durable a jacket filled with bubbles of air could be. $200+ is
      a lot to replace a punctured vest.

      -Spencer

      On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Mark Miracle <mr.mmiracle@...>wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
      >

      > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
      >

      > > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
      > > past week.
      > > Anyone hear about this?
      > > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
      > > stronger than steel
      > > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
      > > screens and
      > > boards etc.
      > >
      > > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
      > > around
      > > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
      > >
      > > Rogene
      > > > Rogene

    • Mark Miracle
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
        I have no experience with this company or it's products, I just
        happened to see this and it peaked my curiosity. Too rich for my blood.

        On Oct 15, 2010, at 5:29 PM, Spencer Bliven wrote:

        > Mark�
        >
        > The Klymit stuff looks cool, although I'm not sure I want to lug gas
        > canisters around. Do you have any experience with it yourself? I was
        > wondering how durable a jacket filled with bubbles of air could be.
        > $200+ is
        > a lot to replace a punctured vest.
        >
        > -Spencer
        >
        > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Mark Miracle
        > <mr.mmiracle@...>wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
        > >

        > > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
        > >

        > > > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
        > > > past week.
        > > > Anyone hear about this?
        > > > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that
        > is 10?x
        > > > stronger than steel
        > > > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
        > > > screens and
        > > > boards etc.
        > > >
        > > > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
        > > > around
        > > > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
        > > >
        > > > Rogene

      • Ragan M
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2010
          This was so interesting! Apparently the single layer of graphene has unique properties in electrical conductivity. Don't know if that would be a good idea for camping but it still rocks.

          http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201010082

          Ragan