Re: [Hammock Camping] Fw: Nobile prize in physics

  • Marcel Kuemmet
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2010
      Cool ... or actually , not cool, as ... it warm.
      Thanks ... putting in on the "Materials for future designs" list.

      On 10/10/2010 12:09 PM, Mark Miracle wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
      >

      > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
      >
      >> I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
      >> past week.
      >> Anyone hear about this?
      >> Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
      >> stronger than steel
      >> that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
      >> screens and
      >> boards etc.
      >>
      >> Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
      >> around
      >> this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
      >>
      >> Rogene
      >>> Rogene

    • Spencer Bliven
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
        Mark–

        The Klymit stuff looks cool, although I'm not sure I want to lug gas
        canisters around. Do you have any experience with it yourself? I was
        wondering how durable a jacket filled with bubbles of air could be. $200+ is
        a lot to replace a punctured vest.

        -Spencer

        On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Mark Miracle <mr.mmiracle@...>wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
        >

        > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
        >

        > > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
        > > past week.
        > > Anyone hear about this?
        > > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
        > > stronger than steel
        > > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
        > > screens and
        > > boards etc.
        > >
        > > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
        > > around
        > > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
        > >
        > > Rogene
        > > > Rogene

      • Mark Miracle
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
          I have no experience with this company or it's products, I just
          happened to see this and it peaked my curiosity. Too rich for my blood.

          On Oct 15, 2010, at 5:29 PM, Spencer Bliven wrote:

          > Mark�
          >
          > The Klymit stuff looks cool, although I'm not sure I want to lug gas
          > canisters around. Do you have any experience with it yourself? I was
          > wondering how durable a jacket filled with bubbles of air could be.
          > $200+ is
          > a lot to replace a punctured vest.
          >
          > -Spencer
          >
          > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Mark Miracle
          > <mr.mmiracle@...>wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
          > >

          > > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
          > >

          > > > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
          > > > past week.
          > > > Anyone hear about this?
          > > > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that
          > is 10?x
          > > > stronger than steel
          > > > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
          > > > screens and
          > > > boards etc.
          > > >
          > > > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
          > > > around
          > > > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
          > > >
          > > > Rogene

        • Ragan M
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 27, 2010
            This was so interesting! Apparently the single layer of graphene has unique properties in electrical conductivity. Don't know if that would be a good idea for camping but it still rocks.

            http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201010082

            Ragan