Re: [Hammock Camping] Fw: Nobile prize in physics

  • Mark Miracle
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2010
      Hi,

      Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com

      On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:

      > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
      > past week.
      > Anyone hear about this?
      > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
      > stronger than steel
      > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
      > screens and
      > boards etc.
      >
      > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
      > around
      > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
      >
      > Rogene
      > > Rogene

    • Marcel Kuemmet
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2010
        Cool ... or actually , not cool, as ... it warm.
        Thanks ... putting in on the "Materials for future designs" list.

        On 10/10/2010 12:09 PM, Mark Miracle wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
        >

        > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
        >
        >> I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
        >> past week.
        >> Anyone hear about this?
        >> Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
        >> stronger than steel
        >> that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
        >> screens and
        >> boards etc.
        >>
        >> Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
        >> around
        >> this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
        >>
        >> Rogene
        >>> Rogene

      • Spencer Bliven
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
          Mark–

          The Klymit stuff looks cool, although I'm not sure I want to lug gas
          canisters around. Do you have any experience with it yourself? I was
          wondering how durable a jacket filled with bubbles of air could be. $200+ is
          a lot to replace a punctured vest.

          -Spencer

          On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Mark Miracle <mr.mmiracle@...>wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
          >

          > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
          >

          > > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
          > > past week.
          > > Anyone hear about this?
          > > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
          > > stronger than steel
          > > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
          > > screens and
          > > boards etc.
          > >
          > > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
          > > around
          > > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
          > >
          > > Rogene
          > > > Rogene

        • Mark Miracle
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
            I have no experience with this company or it's products, I just
            happened to see this and it peaked my curiosity. Too rich for my blood.

            On Oct 15, 2010, at 5:29 PM, Spencer Bliven wrote:

            > Mark�
            >
            > The Klymit stuff looks cool, although I'm not sure I want to lug gas
            > canisters around. Do you have any experience with it yourself? I was
            > wondering how durable a jacket filled with bubbles of air could be.
            > $200+ is
            > a lot to replace a punctured vest.
            >
            > -Spencer
            >
            > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Mark Miracle
            > <mr.mmiracle@...>wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
            > >

            > > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
            > >

            > > > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
            > > > past week.
            > > > Anyone hear about this?
            > > > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that
            > is 10?x
            > > > stronger than steel
            > > > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
            > > > screens and
            > > > boards etc.
            > > >
            > > > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
            > > > around
            > > > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
            > > >
            > > > Rogene

          • Ragan M
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 27, 2010
              This was so interesting! Apparently the single layer of graphene has unique properties in electrical conductivity. Don't know if that would be a good idea for camping but it still rocks.

              http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201010082

              Ragan