Fw: Nobile prize in physics

  • Rogene Calkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2010
      I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this past week.
      Anyone hear about this?
      Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
      stronger than steel
      that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top screens and
      boards etc.

      Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves around
      this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.

      Rogene
      > Rogene

    • Mark Miracle
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2010
        Hi,

        Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com

        On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:

        > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
        > past week.
        > Anyone hear about this?
        > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
        > stronger than steel
        > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
        > screens and
        > boards etc.
        >
        > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
        > around
        > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
        >
        > Rogene
        > > Rogene

      • Marcel Kuemmet
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2010
          Cool ... or actually , not cool, as ... it warm.
          Thanks ... putting in on the "Materials for future designs" list.

          On 10/10/2010 12:09 PM, Mark Miracle wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
          >

          > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
          >
          >> I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
          >> past week.
          >> Anyone hear about this?
          >> Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
          >> stronger than steel
          >> that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
          >> screens and
          >> boards etc.
          >>
          >> Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
          >> around
          >> this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
          >>
          >> Rogene
          >>> Rogene

        • Spencer Bliven
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
            Mark–

            The Klymit stuff looks cool, although I'm not sure I want to lug gas
            canisters around. Do you have any experience with it yourself? I was
            wondering how durable a jacket filled with bubbles of air could be. $200+ is
            a lot to replace a punctured vest.

            -Spencer

            On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Mark Miracle <mr.mmiracle@...>wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
            >

            > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
            >

            > > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
            > > past week.
            > > Anyone hear about this?
            > > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that is 10?x
            > > stronger than steel
            > > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
            > > screens and
            > > boards etc.
            > >
            > > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
            > > around
            > > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
            > >
            > > Rogene
            > > > Rogene

          • Mark Miracle
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
              I have no experience with this company or it's products, I just
              happened to see this and it peaked my curiosity. Too rich for my blood.

              On Oct 15, 2010, at 5:29 PM, Spencer Bliven wrote:

              > Mark�
              >
              > The Klymit stuff looks cool, although I'm not sure I want to lug gas
              > canisters around. Do you have any experience with it yourself? I was
              > wondering how durable a jacket filled with bubbles of air could be.
              > $200+ is
              > a lot to replace a punctured vest.
              >
              > -Spencer
              >
              > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Mark Miracle
              > <mr.mmiracle@...>wrote:
              >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Speaking of high-tech, check this out: www.klymit.com
              > >

              > > On Oct 9, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Rogene Calkins wrote:
              > >

              > > > I think it was a Russian team that won the prize in physics this
              > > > past week.
              > > > Anyone hear about this?
              > > > Any way they developed is one atom thick carbon graphite? that
              > is 10?x
              > > > stronger than steel
              > > > that is expected to revolutionize the computer world in lap top
              > > > screens and
              > > > boards etc.
              > > >
              > > > Now how can our brightest light weight hiker minds wrap ourselves
              > > > around
              > > > this and all it's possibilities for lightweight gear.
              > > >
              > > > Rogene

            • Ragan M
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 27, 2010
                This was so interesting! Apparently the single layer of graphene has unique properties in electrical conductivity. Don't know if that would be a good idea for camping but it still rocks.

                http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201010082

                Ragan