Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Shelter, Individual, Suspended

  • Marcel Kuemmet
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
      Thanks all ...
      I have made and tested several versions (this was in the mid to late
      80's), cost me a lot of money, and went no where.
      I think the design sheets and the paperwork from the lawyer states 1989.
      I advertised in Soldier of Fortune Magazine (I used a pro ad agency for
      the copy), but they blew it on the graphics and one could not actually
      see the photos in the ad as it was all washed out. I wasn't going to
      hand them another 3G for a second try and they wouldn't deal or compromise.
      That is when I basically pulled the pin.
      I had this prototype (the one in the photos, one of three I made),
      tested it while training (the kids loved it, so did the old infantry types).
      I used to run small recon type training patrols with it (so I could be
      comfy and the cadets could suffer), but a lot of the general infantry
      and field types seemed really interested. I just couldn't get enough
      capitol up front to make a whole bunch. To strike even in those days, I
      would have had to make 500 units and charge about $120 a piece ... just
      to get my money back ... if I sold all of them. A non starter.
      It was sent to Aberdeen in 1999, and incinerated there in early 2001. I
      was so informed ... that It was that ... or give up the rights to one of
      the new "established" contractors to make for the Army. I am not sure,
      but I heard the "Camelback" guy,or the folks who came up with the idea,
      had the same problem. Folks in the line units bought their own. The
      vests had capacity for them, but the units themselves had to be
      purchased ... /if I understand correctly/.
      Apparently the policy quietly changed in 2001, then changed back again
      in 2008, so I was thinking about giving another try.
      It does have a commercial name, that it was advertised under back in
      1990. For this posting, I used the proposed Mil designation.
      There are a ton of US Govt specs I could go over, but basically it is
      made with off the shelf materials (every item needed has a USG stock
      number) and meets US Army safety standards and specifications (it gets
      complicated). It is built for speed (A trained soldier can set up in
      190 seconds, tear down and pack in 120 seconds), adaptability, and
      stealth (IR treated materials, can be deployed on a ridge, cliff, etc).
      It was envisioned as a way to retain body heat with minimal weight of
      gear. It requires 30% of capacity of the standard medium Alice pack.
      It was meant to be used with a poncho liner, no sleeping bag (we never
      used them, too heavy and bulky for our type of stuff, especially if we
      have to jump in).
      It was also to considered a replacement/update to the standard Jungle
      hammock. We got issued those in the 1st bat (Army Ranger Bn) and never
      used them due to their poor design and construction (along with 60% of
      the rest of the stuff the Army required us to be issued but the Ranger
      Bn never uses,or allows to be used). We used two ropes with a net and a
      poncho.
      I am still not sure what to do here ... but ... Thanks hey ... feel free
      to contact me if you have any suggestions and thanks again.

    • Rogene Calkins
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 8, 2010
        There is a similar system made by in Europe that has pyramid shaped end for
        stowing gear.
        I'm not sure if I can find the url for this and it's not camouflage etc.
        Rogene.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lindroos <lindrom@...>
          wrote:

          > What do you think the weight would be? How about pack size?
          >
          > The lightweight version, seen here, has a 90 denier ripstop upper. It
          was just under 5 Lbs including the dowels and all support straps and
          Para cord. If I made any more, I would use 200 Denier Cordura. It
          would be much more durable, but probably bring the weight to about 6
          Lbs, which may be too heavy for current Mil Specs. There may be a new-er
          high tech fabric now that could do the job with less weight.