Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Shelter, Individual, Suspended

  • HAROLD STEELE
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
      Actually this isn't a new idea.

      Check out the site for the Clark Jungle Hammocks.

      http://www.junglehammock.com

      Harold Steele

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
        What are you insulating it with to keep the sleeper from losing heat to the air? What if it rains? How does it work in a strong wind?

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Kuemmet <kuemmet@...> wrote:

        > I worked on this design years ago. I just checking around to see if
        > there would be any or much interest in a product like this. I own the
        > design. I got the idea just after my service with the US Army's1st
        > Ranger Bn.
      • Marcel Kuemmet
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
          Thanks all ...
          I have made and tested several versions (this was in the mid to late
          80's), cost me a lot of money, and went no where.
          I think the design sheets and the paperwork from the lawyer states 1989.
          I advertised in Soldier of Fortune Magazine (I used a pro ad agency for
          the copy), but they blew it on the graphics and one could not actually
          see the photos in the ad as it was all washed out. I wasn't going to
          hand them another 3G for a second try and they wouldn't deal or compromise.
          That is when I basically pulled the pin.
          I had this prototype (the one in the photos, one of three I made),
          tested it while training (the kids loved it, so did the old infantry types).
          I used to run small recon type training patrols with it (so I could be
          comfy and the cadets could suffer), but a lot of the general infantry
          and field types seemed really interested. I just couldn't get enough
          capitol up front to make a whole bunch. To strike even in those days, I
          would have had to make 500 units and charge about $120 a piece ... just
          to get my money back ... if I sold all of them. A non starter.
          It was sent to Aberdeen in 1999, and incinerated there in early 2001. I
          was so informed ... that It was that ... or give up the rights to one of
          the new "established" contractors to make for the Army. I am not sure,
          but I heard the "Camelback" guy,or the folks who came up with the idea,
          had the same problem. Folks in the line units bought their own. The
          vests had capacity for them, but the units themselves had to be
          purchased ... /if I understand correctly/.
          Apparently the policy quietly changed in 2001, then changed back again
          in 2008, so I was thinking about giving another try.
          It does have a commercial name, that it was advertised under back in
          1990. For this posting, I used the proposed Mil designation.
          There are a ton of US Govt specs I could go over, but basically it is
          made with off the shelf materials (every item needed has a USG stock
          number) and meets US Army safety standards and specifications (it gets
          complicated). It is built for speed (A trained soldier can set up in
          190 seconds, tear down and pack in 120 seconds), adaptability, and
          stealth (IR treated materials, can be deployed on a ridge, cliff, etc).
          It was envisioned as a way to retain body heat with minimal weight of
          gear. It requires 30% of capacity of the standard medium Alice pack.
          It was meant to be used with a poncho liner, no sleeping bag (we never
          used them, too heavy and bulky for our type of stuff, especially if we
          have to jump in).
          It was also to considered a replacement/update to the standard Jungle
          hammock. We got issued those in the 1st bat (Army Ranger Bn) and never
          used them due to their poor design and construction (along with 60% of
          the rest of the stuff the Army required us to be issued but the Ranger
          Bn never uses,or allows to be used). We used two ropes with a net and a
          poncho.
          I am still not sure what to do here ... but ... Thanks hey ... feel free
          to contact me if you have any suggestions and thanks again.

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
            Looking at the website
            <http://adventuretechnologies.blogspot.com/2010/10/shelter-individual-suspended.html>
            and the original announcement, I see a real problem with this statement:
            "As the majority of body heat is lost to the earth, this ready made
            “Houch” will provide a warm place for the soldier to rest."

            Anyone who has spent any time in a hammock knows that we lose body heat
            faster to convection from air than to the ground. This is why there is
            so much discussion in all the hammock forums and groups about ways to
            keep warm when hanging: underquilts, mats, mylar, down-filled hammocks,
            etc. etc. Although many hammock shelters can be lighter and are
            certainly more comfortable than most tents, it is when the temperatures
            start to drop and the winds start to pick up that hammock pack weight
            starts to increase.

            CL
          • Marcel Kuemmet
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
              Interesting ... thanks. I think back then we based it on some Army
              study, and we all know how good those could be back then.
              I know that with the amount of time I spent sleeping on grass, dirt,
              rocks, tarmacs, hanger floors, parachutes (the absolute best) and steel
              (think top of a M1913), this would have been a much more comfortable
              option than what was available then ... but what about now.
              When I used it in winter, it seemed to me (and this is just how body
              reacts to sleeping on snow covered ground) that I was much warmer and
              better rested with it. I did use a standard intermediate sleeping bag
              then. The Bag was twice the size of the shelter and took up almost the
              rest of my Alice pack. I didn't have to worry about jumping
              (parachuting) it in at that time, so most of the rest of the load was
              ammo, water, food and maybe a radio (probably a prc177).
              I am thinking as well that maybe the 1000 denier cordora combined with
              the sleeping bag may have been why it didn't seem much of an issue. Plus
              I always carry a poncho line as well, and used that as well. Remember,
              this is Military grade stuff here. It is expensive and very durable,
              but I would think there may be modern fabrics and materials I am not
              aware of that may do a better job, but I haven't found anything like
              that yet.
              Just simple 40 or 60 denier fabric (like a Wal Mart tent) would not be
              strong enough for this application, and would never fly USA standards
              and USG specs.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
                Hey all, thanks for all the input.
                I still don't know what to do. No money.

              • Rogene Calkins
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2010
                  There is a similar system made by in Europe that has pyramid shaped end for
                  stowing gear.
                  I'm not sure if I can find the url for this and it's not camouflage etc.
                  Rogene.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lindroos <lindrom@...>
                    wrote:

                    > What do you think the weight would be? How about pack size?
                    >
                    > The lightweight version, seen here, has a 90 denier ripstop upper. It
                    was just under 5 Lbs including the dowels and all support straps and
                    Para cord. If I made any more, I would use 200 Denier Cordura. It
                    would be much more durable, but probably bring the weight to about 6
                    Lbs, which may be too heavy for current Mil Specs. There may be a new-er
                    high tech fabric now that could do the job with less weight.