Shelter, Individual, Suspended

  • Marcel Kuemmet
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2010
      I worked on this design years ago. I just checking around to see if
      there would be any or much interest in a product like this. I own the
      design. I got the idea just after my service with the US Army's1st
      Ranger Bn.
      This is designed for one soldier. As the majority of body heat is lost
      to the earthimage
      <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldXers0pI/AAAAAAAAEBE/xWxvRzXik5c/s1600-h/image%5B15%5D.png>
      , this ready made “Hooch” will provide a warm place for the soldier to
      rest.

      image
      <http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldf1t0s8I/AAAAAAAAEBM/NKUeSMBUd3Q/s1600-h/image%5B20%5D.png>

      image
      <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKlcTaq0_gI/AAAAAAAAEA4/jS7jMCCskoI/s1600-h/image%5B2%5D.png>

      image
      <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldn1hKbSI/AAAAAAAAEBU/h7Ie27bG9Io/s1600-h/image%5B5%5D.png>

      image
      <http://lh4.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldzOwGQ4I/AAAAAAAAEBc/quiF2nEsBCc/s1600-h/image%5B8%5D.png>

      --
      Posted By Marcel Kuemmet to Adventure Technologies
      <http://adventuretechnologies.blogspot.com/2010/10/shelter-individual-suspended.html>

    • EHamilton
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2010
        I kind of like it! Attached roof/rainfly.... no separate tying or staking. What
        about skeeters?

        MacGyver

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2010
          What do you think the weight would be? How about pack size?

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
            There was a commercial version a few years back, can't recall the name right now. It's probably in the archives here. Some of us thought it was a photoshopped hoax. If it does work, it would require heavy duty straps and massive trees. The forces involved with a catenary stretched out (almost) straight are tremendous. The pack weight would have to be pretty heavy.
            Bill Keiser

            > I worked on this design years ago. I just checking around to see if
            > there would be any or much interest in a product like this. I own the
            > design. I got the idea just after my service with the US Army's1st
            > Ranger Bn.
            > This is designed for one soldier. As the majority of body heat is lost
            > to the earthimage
            > <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldXers0pI/AAAAAAAAEBE/xWxvRzXik5c/s1600-h/image%5B15%5D.png>
            > , this ready made “Hooch” will provide a warm place for the soldier to
            > rest.
            > . . .
          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
              Advantages:

              * Easily used as a ground tent if not trees available.
              * More "stable" than a two-point support hammock, especially in high
              winds.
              * More storage space.
              * Tarp not needed (if door flap seals well).
              * If wide enough, two might be able to share it.

              Disadvantages:

              * Requires very large trees, or multiple trees at each end.
              * Upper suspension ropes will creep down tree unless held in place
              with screw or nail.
              * No mosquito protection when flap is open.
              * Large number of straps may offset any weight advantage of missing
              tarp.
              * Straps would have to be pulled very tightly to keep things level
              (hence large trees).
              * With no tarp, the material will have to be very water resistant and
              drain well. Any water "pooling" would find its way in.
              It has possibilities, but would need some serious field testing.

              Dennis "K1" Blanchard

              Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: <http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt> Lessons
              of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail

              A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail

              Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest

              Available on Amazon.com, <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> Kindle
              <http://tinyurl.com/2cvecyg> and the CreateSpace eStore
              <https://www.createspace.com/3428889> .

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Kuemmet <kuemmet@...>
              wrote:

              > I worked on this design years ago. I just checking around to see if
              > there would be any or much interest in a product like this. I own the
              > design. I got the idea just after my service with the US Army's1st
              > Ranger Bn.
              > This is designed for one soldier. As the majority of body heat is
              lost
              > to the earthimage

              <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldXers0pI/AAAAAAAAEBE/xWxvRzXik5c/s\
              1600-h/image%5B15%5D.png>
              > , this ready made “Hooch” will provide a warm place for
              the soldier to
              > rest.
              >
              > image

              <http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldf1t0s8I/AAAAAAAAEBM/NKUeSMBUd3Q/s\
              1600-h/image%5B20%5D.png>

              > image

              <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKlcTaq0_gI/AAAAAAAAEA4/jS7jMCCskoI/s\
              1600-h/image%5B2%5D.png>

              > image

              <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldn1hKbSI/AAAAAAAAEBU/h7Ie27bG9Io/s\
              1600-h/image%5B5%5D.png>

              > image

              <http://lh4.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldzOwGQ4I/AAAAAAAAEBc/quiF2nEsBCc/s\
              1600-h/image%5B8%5D.png>

              > --
              > Posted By Marcel Kuemmet to Adventure Technologies

              <http://adventuretechnologies.blogspot.com/2010/10/shelter-individual-su\
              spended.html>
              > at 10/03/2010 11:45:00 PM

            • HAROLD STEELE
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
                Actually this isn't a new idea.

                Check out the site for the Clark Jungle Hammocks.

                http://www.junglehammock.com

                Harold Steele

                ________________________________

                wrote:

                > I worked on this design years ago. I just checking around to see if
                > there would be any or much interest in a product like this. I own the
                > design. I got the idea just after my service with the US Army's1st
                > Ranger Bn.
                > This is designed for one soldier. As the majority of body heat is
                lost
                > to the earthimage

                <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldXers0pI/AAAAAAAAEBE/xWxvRzXik5c/s1600-h/image%5B15%5D.png>

                > , this ready made “Hooch” will provide a warm place for
                the soldier to
                > rest.
                >
                > image

                <http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldf1t0s8I/AAAAAAAAEBM/NKUeSMBUd3Q/s1600-h/image%5B20%5D.png>

                > image

                <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKlcTaq0_gI/AAAAAAAAEA4/jS7jMCCskoI/s1600-h/image%5B2%5D.png>

                > image

                <http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldn1hKbSI/AAAAAAAAEBU/h7Ie27bG9Io/s1600-h/image%5B5%5D.png>

                > image

                <http://lh4.ggpht.com/_xXGbVuJlSk8/TKldzOwGQ4I/AAAAAAAAEBc/quiF2nEsBCc/s1600-h/image%5B8%5D.png>

                > --
                > Posted By Marcel Kuemmet to Adventure Technologies

                <http://adventuretechnologies.blogspot.com/2010/10/shelter-individual-suspended.html>

                > at 10/03/2010 11:45:00 PM

              • Mark Bayern
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
                  >>"* More "stable" than a two-point support hammock, especially in high
                  winds.

                  More "stable" must mean more likely to flip than an properly hung two-point
                  hammock.

                  >>"Upper suspension ropes will creep down tree unless held in place
                  with screw or nail.

                  This seems like it should a show stopper for most hammock hangers. One big
                  advantage of hanging is the reduced damage to the campsite. Nails or screws
                  negate that advantage.

                  On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Dennis <k1ypp@...> wrote:

                  > Advantages:
                  >
                  > * Easily used as a ground tent if not trees available.
                  > * More "stable" than a two-point support hammock, especially in high
                  > winds.
                  > * More storage space.
                  > * Tarp not needed (if door flap seals well).
                  > * If wide enough, two might be able to share it.
                  >
                  > Disadvantages:
                  >
                  > * Requires very large trees, or multiple trees at each end.
                  > * Upper suspension ropes will creep down tree unless held in place
                  > with screw or nail.
                  > * No mosquito protection when flap is open.
                  > * Large number of straps may offset any weight advantage of missing
                  > tarp.
                  > * Straps would have to be pulled very tightly to keep things level
                  > (hence large trees).
                  > * With no tarp, the material will have to be very water resistant and
                  > drain well. Any water "pooling" would find its way in.
                  > It has possibilities, but would need some serious field testing.
                  >
                  > Dennis "K1" Blanchard

                • punky
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
                    What are you insulating it with to keep the sleeper from losing heat to the air? What if it rains? How does it work in a strong wind?

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Kuemmet <kuemmet@...> wrote:

                    > I worked on this design years ago. I just checking around to see if
                    > there would be any or much interest in a product like this. I own the
                    > design. I got the idea just after my service with the US Army's1st
                    > Ranger Bn.
                  • Marcel Kuemmet
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
                      Thanks all ...
                      I have made and tested several versions (this was in the mid to late
                      80's), cost me a lot of money, and went no where.
                      I think the design sheets and the paperwork from the lawyer states 1989.
                      I advertised in Soldier of Fortune Magazine (I used a pro ad agency for
                      the copy), but they blew it on the graphics and one could not actually
                      see the photos in the ad as it was all washed out. I wasn't going to
                      hand them another 3G for a second try and they wouldn't deal or compromise.
                      That is when I basically pulled the pin.
                      I had this prototype (the one in the photos, one of three I made),
                      tested it while training (the kids loved it, so did the old infantry types).
                      I used to run small recon type training patrols with it (so I could be
                      comfy and the cadets could suffer), but a lot of the general infantry
                      and field types seemed really interested. I just couldn't get enough
                      capitol up front to make a whole bunch. To strike even in those days, I
                      would have had to make 500 units and charge about $120 a piece ... just
                      to get my money back ... if I sold all of them. A non starter.
                      It was sent to Aberdeen in 1999, and incinerated there in early 2001. I
                      was so informed ... that It was that ... or give up the rights to one of
                      the new "established" contractors to make for the Army. I am not sure,
                      but I heard the "Camelback" guy,or the folks who came up with the idea,
                      had the same problem. Folks in the line units bought their own. The
                      vests had capacity for them, but the units themselves had to be
                      purchased ... /if I understand correctly/.
                      Apparently the policy quietly changed in 2001, then changed back again
                      in 2008, so I was thinking about giving another try.
                      It does have a commercial name, that it was advertised under back in
                      1990. For this posting, I used the proposed Mil designation.
                      There are a ton of US Govt specs I could go over, but basically it is
                      made with off the shelf materials (every item needed has a USG stock
                      number) and meets US Army safety standards and specifications (it gets
                      complicated). It is built for speed (A trained soldier can set up in
                      190 seconds, tear down and pack in 120 seconds), adaptability, and
                      stealth (IR treated materials, can be deployed on a ridge, cliff, etc).
                      It was envisioned as a way to retain body heat with minimal weight of
                      gear. It requires 30% of capacity of the standard medium Alice pack.
                      It was meant to be used with a poncho liner, no sleeping bag (we never
                      used them, too heavy and bulky for our type of stuff, especially if we
                      have to jump in).
                      It was also to considered a replacement/update to the standard Jungle
                      hammock. We got issued those in the 1st bat (Army Ranger Bn) and never
                      used them due to their poor design and construction (along with 60% of
                      the rest of the stuff the Army required us to be issued but the Ranger
                      Bn never uses,or allows to be used). We used two ropes with a net and a
                      poncho.
                      I am still not sure what to do here ... but ... Thanks hey ... feel free
                      to contact me if you have any suggestions and thanks again.

                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
                        Looking at the website
                        <http://adventuretechnologies.blogspot.com/2010/10/shelter-individual-suspended.html>
                        and the original announcement, I see a real problem with this statement:
                        "As the majority of body heat is lost to the earth, this ready made
                        “Houch” will provide a warm place for the soldier to rest."

                        Anyone who has spent any time in a hammock knows that we lose body heat
                        faster to convection from air than to the ground. This is why there is
                        so much discussion in all the hammock forums and groups about ways to
                        keep warm when hanging: underquilts, mats, mylar, down-filled hammocks,
                        etc. etc. Although many hammock shelters can be lighter and are
                        certainly more comfortable than most tents, it is when the temperatures
                        start to drop and the winds start to pick up that hammock pack weight
                        starts to increase.

                        CL
                      • Marcel Kuemmet
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
                          Interesting ... thanks. I think back then we based it on some Army
                          study, and we all know how good those could be back then.
                          I know that with the amount of time I spent sleeping on grass, dirt,
                          rocks, tarmacs, hanger floors, parachutes (the absolute best) and steel
                          (think top of a M1913), this would have been a much more comfortable
                          option than what was available then ... but what about now.
                          When I used it in winter, it seemed to me (and this is just how body
                          reacts to sleeping on snow covered ground) that I was much warmer and
                          better rested with it. I did use a standard intermediate sleeping bag
                          then. The Bag was twice the size of the shelter and took up almost the
                          rest of my Alice pack. I didn't have to worry about jumping
                          (parachuting) it in at that time, so most of the rest of the load was
                          ammo, water, food and maybe a radio (probably a prc177).
                          I am thinking as well that maybe the 1000 denier cordora combined with
                          the sleeping bag may have been why it didn't seem much of an issue. Plus
                          I always carry a poncho line as well, and used that as well. Remember,
                          this is Military grade stuff here. It is expensive and very durable,
                          but I would think there may be modern fabrics and materials I am not
                          aware of that may do a better job, but I haven't found anything like
                          that yet.
                          Just simple 40 or 60 denier fabric (like a Wal Mart tent) would not be
                          strong enough for this application, and would never fly USA standards
                          and USG specs.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 5, 2010
                            Hey all, thanks for all the input.
                            I still don't know what to do. No money.

                          • Rogene Calkins
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 8, 2010
                              There is a similar system made by in Europe that has pyramid shaped end for
                              stowing gear.
                              I'm not sure if I can find the url for this and it's not camouflage etc.
                              Rogene.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lindroos <lindrom@...>
                                wrote:

                                > What do you think the weight would be? How about pack size?
                                >
                                > The lightweight version, seen here, has a 90 denier ripstop upper. It
                                was just under 5 Lbs including the dowels and all support straps and
                                Para cord. If I made any more, I would use 200 Denier Cordura. It
                                would be much more durable, but probably bring the weight to about 6
                                Lbs, which may be too heavy for current Mil Specs. There may be a new-er
                                high tech fabric now that could do the job with less weight.