Re: [Hammock Camping] Snake skins

  • Dutch Unlimited
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
      I just use some strings, mostly already (semi) attached for other
      purposes.... No need to add velcro and the piece of cord can double
      function. Anywhere between 1 and 3 pieces of about 8-10 inches.

      Anybody need/want my snakeskins? ;-)

      Grtz Johan

      --
      Met vriendelijke groet,
      Namens Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator

      Johan van Dijk
      +31 6 44 80 82 63
      -
      Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator | p/a Marijkestraat 14 | NL - 2291 TK
      Wateringen | Zuid Holland | The Netherlands
      ING banknr. 4203325 | IBAN: NL86INGB0004203325 | BIC (SWIFT): INGBNL2A
      KvK Naaldwijk: 27359242 | BTW-nr: NL179061239B01
      Op al onze opdrachten zijn onze algemene voorwaarden van toepassing. Deze
      vind je op www.dutchunlimited.com

    • Arye P. R.
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
        if you are not using a permanently attached ridge-line you can twist the hammock
        like a twisted rope and eliminate the need for wraps, snakeskins etc

        if you dont want to buy/make wraps, snakeskins etc try womenshose and cut open
        the toe.

        SapereAude,

        Arye P. Rubenstein

        ________________________________

        --
        Met vriendelijkegroet,
        Namens Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator

        Johan van Dijk
        +31 6 44 80 82 63
        -
        Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator | p/a Marijkestraat 14 | NL - 2291 TK
        Wateringen | Zuid Holland | The Netherlands
        INGbanknr. 4203325 | IBAN: NL86INGB0004203325 | BIC (SWIFT): INGBNL2A
        KvKNaaldwijk: 27359242 | BTW-nr: NL179061239B01
        Op alonzeopdrachtenzijnonzealgemenevoorwaarden van toepassing. Deze
        vindje op www.dutchunlimited.com

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
          Anyone make a hammock from tyvek? If so, how did it hold up?

          CL
        • Aris Dennis
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
            I'd be interested in this too. Would it stretch too much?

            Good to see this group is still alive! Is Ed still on here?

            ________________________________

          • ed@speerhammocks.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
              Hi Ariz....I hope to be online here a lot more now that my time has freed up a bit. My thanks to everyone who has posted lately.

              From: Aris Dennis <apfel1984@...>
              Sender: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 02:33:26
              To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Tyvek hammock?

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof can form
                condensation puddles under you.

                It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).

                On another note I just made a hammock from the black " landscape fabric"
                that you use to block weeds etc.

                It does pass water readily, and seems to be durable.

                Ralph
                On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@...> wrote:

                > I'd be interested in this too. Would it stretch too much?
                >
                > Good to see this group is still alive! Is Ed still on here?
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                  OUCH! I hope you're not saying what it seems like you're saying...

                  CL

                  Ralph Oborn wrote:
                  > It does pass water readily, and seems to be durable.
                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                    On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...>wrote:

                    > OUCH! I hope you're not saying what it seems like you're saying...
                    >
                    > CL

                    As I get older it appears that water seems to pass right through me. :]

                    And it seems like the landscape fabric also allows water to pass right
                    through the material.
                    wheter in liquid or gaseous phases

                    Why what were you thinking????? :]

                    Ralph

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
                      Ralph Oborn wrote:
                      > In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof
                      > can form condensation puddles under you.
                      >
                      > It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).

                      Washing tyvek does improve flexibility and greatly reduces the noise. I
                      quite like the texture of washed tyvek. It's very much like paper.

                      Now, why do we get condensation from a waterproof hammock (tyvek,
                      silnylon) and not from a waterproof sleeping pad (thermarest's regular
                      and NeoAir, ensolite pads, etc)?

                      Actually, this last hiking trip (just back two days ago) was so humid
                      day and night, that I've got heat rash all across my lower back.
                      Sleeping on a breathable surface would have probably prevented the heat
                      rash. I was sleeping on a NeoAir.

                      One cold, humid, foggy night a few years ago, when car-camping at about
                      2500 m in elevation, I experimented with wrapping a 'truck windshield'
                      (i.e. about 2 mm of thin 'packing foam' lined with mylar--we can buy
                      these sized for 2-person and 4-person tents) around my hammock as an
                      outside, windproof layer. I did notice a puddle on the lowest point of
                      this layer.

                      A year or so later, I used tyvek to make a 'weathershield' kind of like
                      Hennessey's--mainly to prevent my underquilt from being dampened by
                      splashback. I didn't notice any condensation on the inside layer (more
                      near 0*C nights with heavy fog), but I did notice the whole set-up was
                      much warmer without the 'weathershield'.

                      So, I am noticing some condensation. What about those people who are
                      inserting a layer of mylar (emergency blankets) between them and their
                      underquilts or Hennessey supershelters? What about condensation in a
                      silnylon supershelter?

                      CL
                    • punky
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
                        Tyvek is water resistant, not waterproof, and vapor permeable. This is why it is used to make painter's coveralls - unlike plastic it lets you wear it without soaking in your own sweat.

                        It gets less noisy with washing.

                        It doesn't make a good hammock because it will not support the weight. People at hammock forum have tried. Tore right through. Once it starts, it just tears.

                        I have a tarptent made of Tyvek (the Sublite) for a specific kind of outing - it has been a champ in terms of condensation, and unlike nylon it reflects rather than absorbs the heat of the sun, so it makes a very good desert tent. Camping in Big Sur all the nylon tents were drenched on the inside in the morning and I was dry as a bone. The only time the fabric got wet was in a freeze - the water didn't freeze but it gathered in the fabric so it was wet inside and out, and then it did not dry very easily.

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                        > In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof can form
                        > condensation puddles under you.
                        >
                        > It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).
                        >
                        > On another note I just made a hammock from the black " landscape fabric"
                        > that you use to block weeds etc.
                        >
                        > It does pass water readily, and seems to be durable.
                        >

                        > Ralph
                      • sawyer7271
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
                          There was a thread on this subject on hammockforums.net where an individual did some testing. The person created a couple of gathered end hammocks. One the whippings slid off the end. Once that was fixed, the hammock failed as the tyvek ripped at the larkshead.

                          Stick to Polyester or ripstop nylon, and use your tyvek for a cheap tarp... If you get lucky, some walmarts have fabric departments (but not for much longer). Look for Sharkskin silver ripstop. 7 yards doubled makes a fantastic hammock. My kids use a single layer of this material, and it works great.

                          If you do wash your tyvek, don't use any soap. It does get quieter, but it's still quite noisy in the rain.

                          John