Hanging Mods

  • wolfjeeper
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010
      Aloha Fellow Hangers
      Im looking for any helpful information you might have
      I Have a couple HH and I have been trying to go to a strap system as here in CA we have some darn Big Trees! what I've done is made straps with a D ring attached to one end and I wrap them around tree and through the ring. on the HH I attached 2 rings to my cord. my first setut worked great but the double rings broke after a couple of nights... :( verry sad Had to improvise then I bought beefier ones that had a weld all the way around not just tacked lol and they Keep slipping! its like they dont bind... I even tried this with triangles and it does the same thing?? I have to tie off the webbing cuz there just isint enough friction I guess... could this be because Im using a lighter and different material for the straps?
      Any sugestions would be helpful... Thanks

      Aloha I'll be Hangen Ten in my Hammock! Hope to see you there!
    • Greg Dunlap
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
        Northern California hanger here also. I use 1 1/2 inch straps with
        carabineers. I have 2 inch loops sewn onto the ends of the straps, place a
        carbineer in one end and wrap it around the tree, run the strap through the
        carbineer and then double back around the tree. Two carbines on the end of
        the strap which I cinch my Hennessey Explorer onto. I always do a simple
        doubled overhand knot on the end to finish it off and have not had any
        problems. Which considering that I weigh 225 lbs, I would make a loud thud
        hitting the ground.

        Greg Dunlap
        Santa Rosa, CA
        38.28.40.80 N
        -122.45.16.25 W
        157 feet above sea level

        blackey@...

[...]

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com
        =======

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com/
        =======

      • John Ennis
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
          I am a hanger in Alabama and have several hammock rigs that range from the Clark Jungle Hammock NX-200 model to several ENO Double Nests.  They have all had there stock suspensions replaced with cinch buckle/strap suspensions from Arrowhead Equipment.  It is a cottage business located in Idaho and the owner is a member of Hammock Forums.net.  Their website address is: http://www.arrowheadequipment.webs.com/.%c2%a0 Go check out there hammock suspension as well as the rest of their gear.

          I highly recommend this system, I am 6'1" tall and weigh 297.  I have never been "let down" by any of their hammock suspension hardwear.

        • sawyer7271
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2010
            X2 on Arrowhead Equipment: AHE: they have a set of ultralight buckles, either with or without an amsteel loop (called a Chain link.)
            http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1324005

            Even with a set of cinch buckles, you should always tie a slippery half-hitch on the suspension strap... I've had my cinch buckles lower me quickly to ground when it wasn't aligned perfectly, and pulled off to one side.

            For the tree side, either use a carabiner or Dutch Clips, which can be found here: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchClips.htm I'd avoid the d-ring due to your earlier hardware failures. Also, the dutch clip or carabiner setup would be faster and easier since you wouldn't have to remove the strap from your hammock...

            The problem with all the d-rings I've found (even welded ones) is that the forces on them are much higher than your body weight. The one's I've seen are rated to less than 200 pounds. If your suspension is too tight, the forces on the suspension are staggering.

            Another option would be to switch to descending rings. AHE has them as well, but the buckles are awesome. http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1128958

            Oh: Paul (AHE Owner) has amazing customer service, and typically ships within a day.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "wolfjeeper" <wolfjeeper@...> wrote:

            > Aloha Fellow Hangers
            > Im looking for any helpful information you might have
            > I Have a couple HH and I have been trying to go to a strap system as here in CA we have some darn Big Trees! what I've done is made straps with a D ring attached to one end and I wrap them around tree and through the ring. on the HH I attached 2 rings to my cord. my first setut worked great but the double rings broke after a couple of nights... :( verry sad Had to improvise then I bought beefier ones that had a weld all the way around not just tacked lol and they Keep slipping! its like they dont bind... I even tried this with triangles and it does the same thing?? I have to tie off the webbing cuz there just isint enough friction I guess... could this be because Im using a lighter and different material for the straps?
            > Any sugestions would be helpful... Thanks
            >
            > Aloha I'll be Hangen Ten in my Hammock! Hope to see you there!

          • egiese01
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2010
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sawyer7271" <sawyer7271@...> wrote:

              > X2 on Arrowhead Equipment: AHE: they have a set of ultralight buckles, either with or without an amsteel loop (called a Chain link.)
              > http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1324005
              >
              > Even with a set of cinch buckles, you should always tie a slippery half-hitch on the suspension strap... I've had my cinch buckles lower me quickly to ground when it wasn't aligned perfectly, and pulled off to one side.
              >
              > For the tree side, either use a carabiner or Dutch Clips, which can be found here: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchClips.htm I'd avoid the d-ring due to your earlier hardware failures. Also, the dutch clip or carabiner setup would be faster and easier since you wouldn't have to remove the strap from your hammock...
              >
              > The problem with all the d-rings I've found (even welded ones) is that the forces on them are much higher than your body weight. The one's I've seen are rated to less than 200 pounds. If your suspension is too tight, the forces on the suspension are staggering.
              >
              > Another option would be to switch to descending rings. AHE has them as well, but the buckles are awesome. http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1128958
              >
              > Oh: Paul (AHE Owner) has amazing customer service, and typically ships within a day.
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "wolfjeeper" <wolfjeeper@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Aloha Fellow Hangers
              > > Im looking for any helpful information you might have
              > > I Have a couple HH and I have been trying to go to a strap system as here in CA we have some darn Big Trees! what I've done is made straps with a D ring attached to one end and I wrap them around tree and through the ring. on the HH I attached 2 rings to my cord. my first setut worked great but the double rings broke after a couple of nights... :( verry sad Had to improvise then I bought beefier ones that had a weld all the way around not just tacked lol and they Keep slipping! its like they dont bind... I even tried this with triangles and it does the same thing?? I have to tie off the webbing cuz there just isint enough friction I guess... could this be because Im using a lighter and different material for the straps?
              > > Any sugestions would be helpful... Thanks
              > >
              > > Aloha I'll be Hangen Ten in my Hammock! Hope to see you there!
              > >
              >good advice but i need to ask,do you like to carry heavy packs?? if not why all the hardware, hardware to me is uneeded wieght, strap systen is to heavy as well, what i did was convert hh to woopie slings,and use my tree huggers by sewing a 8 in loop in one end attaching hammock suspension to tree hugger via marlin spike hitch, which can be found while hiling anywhere, no hardware, less wieght, just my opinion, i sold my dutch clips, to gimmicky
            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2010
                On 08/07/2010 01:06, egiese01 wrote:
                >> good advice but i need to ask,do you like to carry heavy packs?? if not why all the hardware

                I've often wondered this, too. What's with all the hardware? In fact,
                I went back to Hennessey's default mode of figure-8 wraps precisely
                because it was the lightest option. It's not that convenient, but
                what's an extra 5 minutes at a campsite?

                If I'm going somewhere where we'll need some hardware (biners) anyway
                (i.e. bad trails), then I'll carry the biners and make them double-use
                with my hammock.

                CL
              • sawyer7271
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2010
                  You do have a valid point. I don't have whoopie slings at this point. I guess with whoopies/toggles I could save as much as 4-6 ounces. Hmmm... Christmas isn't too far away...