Murphy's Rules of Camping

  • wpick@cox.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
> [...]
      > ground under feet expands.
      > 8. Rocks and sticks rise above dirt when irritated by tent flooring
      > fabric.
      > 9. Feet expand when removed from hiking boots. The same law applies to
      > tents and tent bags, clothing and backpacks, and sleeping bags and stuff
      > sacks.
      > 10. Backpack strap widths decrease with the distance hiked. To
      > compensate, the weight of the backpack increases.
      > 11. Average local temperature increases with the amount of clothing
      > packed.
      > 12. Tent stakes come only in the quantity 'N-1' where N is the number of
      > stakes necessary to stake down a tent.
      > 13. Fuel in sealed bottles spontaneously evaporates.
      > 14. Fuel in stove reservoirs evaporates 10x as fast as fuel in sealed
      > bottles.
      > 15. All available humidity and moisture will congregate on match heads.
      > 16. If no match heads are in the vicinity, all moisture will congregate
      > inside waterproof clothing.
      > 17. The one new tent on the trip that leaks will be yours.
      > 18. The side of the tent that leaks will be your side.
      > 19. All food assumes a common taste and color when freeze-dried.
      > 20. Divide the number of servings by two when reading the directions for
      > reconstituting anything freeze-dried.
      > 21. When reading the instructions of a pump-activated water filter,
      > 'hour' should be substituted for 'minute' when reading the average quarts
      > filtered per minute.
      > 22. A backpack's weight load migrates up and back the longer it is in
      > motion.
      > 23. All tree branches in a forest grow outward from their respective
      > trunks at exactly the height of your nose. If you are male, tree branches
      > will also grow at groin height.
      > 24. Swiss Army Knife toothpicks and tweezers evaporate upon contact with
      > air.
      > 25. Rain happens.
      > 26. Waterproof clothing isn't. (However, it is 100% effective at
      > containing sweat).
      > 27. Non-stick pans aren't.
      > 28. Waterproof matches aren't.
      > 29. One size fits all don't.
      > 30. Anything bug-proof isn't.
      > 31. A backpack's weight is not affected by the amount of food eaten out
      > of it.
      > 32. The minimum temperature rating for any sleeping bag raises as the
      > external temperature lowers.
      > 33. Ropes holding bear bags stretch.
      > 34. The loudness of an animal at night grows as the size of the animal
      > shrinks.
      > 35. The sun sets 47% faster than normal when setting up camp. It sets
      > another 28% faster if rain is eminent.
      > 36. Of a 25% chance of rain, 100% will fall in your campsite.
      > 37. When hiking, you take half as many downhil steps as uphill.
      > 38. 95% of a backpack's contents could have been left at home.
      > 39. The 5% left at home will be needed.
      > 40. The memory of misery approaches zero as the memory of joy approaches

    • kerri
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1 1:54 AM
        Oh, that's just great! LOL

        Kind Regards,

        Kerri
      • Arye P. R.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1 6:06 AM
          and the best part is they only apply to boy scouts

          Sapere Aude,

          Arye P. Rubenstein

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1 7:34 AM
            Arye P. R. wrote:
            > and the best part is they only apply to boy scouts

            If only!

            CL
          • Blake Robert
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010
                Being allergic to feathers, I am looking for an alternative synthetic sleeping
              bag to use as a peapod.

                Apparently, the military patrol sleeping bag is sized to go over another bag
              in a modular system.

                And, the x-long size is supposed to be 106" long.

                Has anyone had any experience with these used as peapods?

                                    RB

            • gumby zenkayaker
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010
                Hello !!!! I have the whole system bags,but have an OLD type hammock.
                The niddle bag fits tight but works for me down too -10.hope this
                helps

                On 8/5/10, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...> wrote:
                >   Being allergic to feathers, I am looking for an alternative synthetic
                > sleeping
                > bag to use as a peapod.
                >
                >   Apparently, the military patrol sleeping bag is sized to go over another
                > bag
                > in a modular system.
                >
                >   And, the x-long size is supposed to be 106" long.
                >
                >   Has anyone had any experience with these used as peapods?
                >
                >                       RB

                enjoy your days&remember your nites, move or die ,the only easyday,was,yesterday
              • Blake Robert
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
                  Thank you.

                  Does the foot area have enough width to lie on the diagonal?

                                RB

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
                    Sorry no ,the hammock is mil surplus and is built straight-sided like
                    a TV box. 30x30x8'.the mummy bag liner is shaped just like a TAPERED
                    BAG!!!! It is comfortable though!!!! Later Gumby