Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Ultralightweight Backpacking and Hammocking

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 21, 2010
      If I'd like to make my own whoopie slings do I have to use Amsteel?
      Will other ropes work?

      What properties do I nee to look for?

      I'm thnking yellow Polypropelene?

      Ralph

      On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:14 AM, egiese01 <egiese01@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, B D <bd29162dc@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is probably a stupid question; however, for some time, I've been
      > thinking about ultralight backpacking and hammocking both of which I enjoy.
      > > With weight reduction in mind, I was wondering how others have configured
      > their equipment to accommodate both interests.
      > >
      > to save on wieght for the hammock suspension i use whoopie slings, dutch
      > clips and about 6 ft of 1 in webbing for the tree hugger, you can get rid of
      > the bug netting shed a few more ounces anyway, i like my netting and take
      > the wieght penalty, when i had my hammock made they used 1.1 ripstop also
      > lightened it up, i prefer the hammock over ground more comfy!!!

    • punky
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2010
        Unless you can find polypropolene that is rated 800 lbs or better, don't. Amsteel is the favored choice of whoopie sling makers for good reason. It's hollow core, very light, and very strong. You need something very, very strong. The physics of hammocking are such that you will be putting hundreds of pounds of load on the suspension of your hammock over and above just your weight.

        The arborist's rope Zing It works great for whoopie slings and closed end loops for tarps and other light duty suspension needs, for example, but you do not want to use it on the hammock suspension as it is not going to be strong enough to keep you off the ground very long.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

        > If I'd like to make my own whoopie slings do I have to use Amsteel?
        > Will other ropes work?
        >
        > What properties do I nee to look for?
        >
        > I'm thnking yellow Polypropelene?
        >

        > Ralph

      • sawyer7271
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22, 2010
          7/64" amsteel is the best you're going to do, and is incredibly light. (those under 200lbs might be able to use 2mm, but I wouldn't risk it...) I've seen it as cheap as $0.28/ft in small quantities, or you can get spools for a bit less, depending on what you want.

          http://www.whoopieslings.com/ has instructions, or sells whoopie slings...

          John