Ultralightweight Backpacking and Hammocking

  • B D
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17 7:33 AM
      This is probably a stupid question; however, for some time, I've been thinking about ultralight backpacking and hammocking both of which I enjoy.
      With weight reduction in mind, I was wondering how others have configured their equipment to accommodate both interests.
    • Coracle Nigel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17 8:34 AM
        I have recently put together a kit list for both light weight ground camping with a tarp and hammock camping. On balance the hammock setup is heavier by a pound or two because of the need for an underblanket and possibly a wind sock. The actual weight of the hammock and suspension even if light is heavier than say a bivvi bag or bug net used on the ground. My experience is of UK conditions where an underblanket and/or a wind sock a necessary for most of the year to be sure of a comfortable night.
        However if you are travelling in wooded terrain then a hammock will provide a far more comfortable night than you will get on the ground.
        Just checked my recent kit lists and the hammock set adds about 2-3 pound. With some tinkering to the suspension and not taking a windsock you could probably shave some weight off this.
        Nigel
        Sent from my iPhone

        On 17 Jun 2010, at 15:33, B D <bd29162dc@...> wrote:

        > This is probably a stupid question; however, for some time, I've been thinking about ultralight backpacking and hammocking both of which I enjoy.
        > With weight reduction in mind, I was wondering how others have configured their equipment to accommodate both interests.

      • farmpreacha
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 17 9:18 AM
          B D,

          I would like to call myself an UL person, and this is my first post in this group, though I have been a member for years.

          All my gear fits into my ULA Conduit pack, and on my last trip 2 weeks ago, my Conduit was actually too big. I make all my hammocks, and my winter hammocks are pretty plain Speer style. My Summer (bug) Hammock is a DIY bottom entry, that has a sewn in bug net. I have 2 5oz Climashield XP quilts that I use when the weather is cool, and they weigh 1 pound each, and for Summer I use a very thin about 1oz Climashield quilt that weighs 10oz. I also use a 10X12 Silnylon Cat Tarp that my wife made that weighs 1 pound too. I use an Alcohol stove, and I purify my water using 2 drops of bleach to a liter of water.

          My 3 day pack weight 2 weeks ago with food, and 2 liters of water was 15.5 pounds, and I brought home an extra pound of food. I use a reflective winshield sun thing as a support for my pack, and also to put under me when the temps go below 70*. I could have gone a little lighter, but a sub 10 pound pack is always good in my mind.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, B D <bd29162dc@...> wrote:

          > This is probably a stupid question; however, for some time, I've been thinking about ultralight backpacking and hammocking both of which I enjoy.
          > With weight reduction in mind, I was wondering how others have configured their equipment to accommodate both interests.

        • egiese01
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 21 8:14 AM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, B D <bd29162dc@...> wrote:

            > This is probably a stupid question; however, for some time, I've been thinking about ultralight backpacking and hammocking both of which I enjoy.
            > With weight reduction in mind, I was wondering how others have configured their equipment to accommodate both interests.

            to save on wieght for the hammock suspension i use whoopie slings, dutch clips and about 6 ft of 1 in webbing for the tree hugger, you can get rid of the bug netting shed a few more ounces anyway, i like my netting and take the wieght penalty, when i had my hammock made they used 1.1 ripstop also lightened it up, i prefer the hammock over ground more comfy!!!
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 21 9:29 AM
              If I'd like to make my own whoopie slings do I have to use Amsteel?
              Will other ropes work?

              What properties do I nee to look for?

              I'm thnking yellow Polypropelene?

              Ralph

              On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:14 AM, egiese01 <egiese01@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, B D <bd29162dc@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > This is probably a stupid question; however, for some time, I've been
              > thinking about ultralight backpacking and hammocking both of which I enjoy.
              > > With weight reduction in mind, I was wondering how others have configured
              > their equipment to accommodate both interests.
              > >
              > to save on wieght for the hammock suspension i use whoopie slings, dutch
              > clips and about 6 ft of 1 in webbing for the tree hugger, you can get rid of
              > the bug netting shed a few more ounces anyway, i like my netting and take
              > the wieght penalty, when i had my hammock made they used 1.1 ripstop also
              > lightened it up, i prefer the hammock over ground more comfy!!!

            • punky
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 22 6:15 AM
                Unless you can find polypropolene that is rated 800 lbs or better, don't. Amsteel is the favored choice of whoopie sling makers for good reason. It's hollow core, very light, and very strong. You need something very, very strong. The physics of hammocking are such that you will be putting hundreds of pounds of load on the suspension of your hammock over and above just your weight.

                The arborist's rope Zing It works great for whoopie slings and closed end loops for tarps and other light duty suspension needs, for example, but you do not want to use it on the hammock suspension as it is not going to be strong enough to keep you off the ground very long.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                > If I'd like to make my own whoopie slings do I have to use Amsteel?
                > Will other ropes work?
                >
                > What properties do I nee to look for?
                >
                > I'm thnking yellow Polypropelene?
                >

                > Ralph

              • sawyer7271
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 22 7:53 AM
                  7/64" amsteel is the best you're going to do, and is incredibly light. (those under 200lbs might be able to use 2mm, but I wouldn't risk it...) I've seen it as cheap as $0.28/ft in small quantities, or you can get spools for a bit less, depending on what you want.

                  http://www.whoopieslings.com/ has instructions, or sells whoopie slings...

                  John