Ripstop material source

  • Mike Baker
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2010
      Try http://www.hancockfabrics.com/

      They have local stores in my area. We purchased ripstop to make some underqulits with at 4.99 a yard.

         Michael Baker

      Assistant Scoutmaster
                Venture
       Boy Scout Troop 513

            Seagrove NC
             SR-876

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2010
        Michael Baker

        Assistant Scoutmaster
        Venture
        Boy Scout Troop 513

        Seagrove NC
        SR-876

        I'm making hammock with my scouts this afternoon

        We find nylon material at Walmart for $1.50 a yard (it takes 4 yards)
        (really!)

        You really don't need ripstop for the occasional use your scouts will do.
        Anyway check your walmart, some back east still sell material, or look for
        other discount shops. Almost any non stretch material will do for hammocks.

        I can usually find strapping for around 17 cents a foot at surplus stores or
        Army Navy Stores
        (each hammock takes 30 foot) (really!).

        I'm working on a source for free "mule tape" from the local power company
        (also check phone and cable company). They use it for pulling cables.

        Our hammocks are no sew, based on the Risk test hammock but tied instead
        with a double sheet bend on each end to the15 foot of strapping.

        We are going camping this weekend all the scouts and many of the dads will
        be hanging.

        Each hammock takes about 5 minutes to make.

        Ralph (who somteimes uses nylon strap that stretches a bit) :]
        Troop 353
        Pocatello, Idaho
        "I used to be an antelopeee..."

        On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Mike Baker <m1.baker@...> wrote:

        > Try http://www.hancockfabrics.com/
        >
        > They have local stores in my area. We purchased ripstop to make some
        > underqulits with at 4.99 a yard.
        >

        > Michael Baker
        >
        > Assistant Scoutmaster
        > Venture
        > Boy Scout Troop 513
        >
        > Seagrove NC
        > SR-876

      • Brian T
        Message 3 of 6 , May 19, 2010
          > We find nylon material at Walmart for $1.50 a yard (it takes 4 yards)
          > (really!)

          One of our walmarts finally pulled the plug on their fabric section. I still
          have 7 more I can venture to but I would guess they are all following suit.

          Brian

        • Mike Baker
          Message 4 of 6 , May 19, 2010
            Yeah,
             We only have one Walmart left that sells fabric. I asked and they too are going to stop fabric sales as well.

               Michael Baker

            Assistant Scoutmaster
                      Venture
             Boy Scout Troop 513