Ripstop material source

  • Mike Baker
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2010
      Try http://www.hancockfabrics.com/

      They have local stores in my area. We purchased ripstop to make some underqulits with at 4.99 a yard.

         Michael Baker

      Assistant Scoutmaster
                Venture
       Boy Scout Troop 513

            Seagrove NC
             SR-876

      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2010
        Hi Jeff. Welcome. Contact me via email for 10% Boy Scout discount on all
        Speer Hammocks products, including the do-it-yourself fabrics...Ed

        Speer Hammocks Inc

        Quality Hammocks for Adventure Camping

        3947 Mudcut Rd

        Marion, NC 28752

        828.724.4444

        www.SpeerHammocks.com

        Ed@...

        Hammock Camping (the book)

        The Complete Guide to Greater Comfot, Conveninece and Freedom

        Hammock Camping-L (email group)

        A FREE open discussion group. Learn from the experts!

        Message 3 of 6 , May 19, 2010
          Michael Baker

          Assistant Scoutmaster
          Venture
          Boy Scout Troop 513

          Seagrove NC
          SR-876

          I'm making hammock with my scouts this afternoon

          We find nylon material at Walmart for $1.50 a yard (it takes 4 yards)
          (really!)

          You really don't need ripstop for the occasional use your scouts will do.
          Anyway check your walmart, some back east still sell material, or look for
          other discount shops. Almost any non stretch material will do for hammocks.

          I can usually find strapping for around 17 cents a foot at surplus stores or
          Army Navy Stores
          (each hammock takes 30 foot) (really!).

          I'm working on a source for free "mule tape" from the local power company
          (also check phone and cable company). They use it for pulling cables.

          Our hammocks are no sew, based on the Risk test hammock but tied instead
          with a double sheet bend on each end to the15 foot of strapping.

          We are going camping this weekend all the scouts and many of the dads will
          be hanging.

          Each hammock takes about 5 minutes to make.

          Ralph (who somteimes uses nylon strap that stretches a bit) :]
          Troop 353
          Pocatello, Idaho
          "I used to be an antelopeee..."

          On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Mike Baker <m1.baker@...> wrote:

          > Try http://www.hancockfabrics.com/
          >
          > They have local stores in my area. We purchased ripstop to make some
          > underqulits with at 4.99 a yard.
          >

          > Michael Baker
          >
          > Assistant Scoutmaster
          > Venture
          > Boy Scout Troop 513
          >
          > Seagrove NC
          > SR-876

        • Brian T
          Message 4 of 6 , May 19, 2010
            > We find nylon material at Walmart for $1.50 a yard (it takes 4 yards)
            > (really!)

            One of our walmarts finally pulled the plug on their fabric section. I still
            have 7 more I can venture to but I would guess they are all following suit.

            Brian

          • Mike Baker
            Message 5 of 6 , May 19, 2010
              Yeah,
               We only have one Walmart left that sells fabric. I asked and they too are going to stop fabric sales as well.

                 Michael Baker

              Assistant Scoutmaster
                        Venture
               Boy Scout Troop 513