Ripstop material source

  • Jeff Creamer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2010
      I am new to hammock camping and hoping to build my first hammock from scratch.  There are great resources regarding how to do it.  But, I am having difficulty locating the material at a reasonable price.  I am a scoutmaster and would like for my guys to make their own hammocks.  However, due to different economic backgrounds, cost is somewhat of an issue.  Anyone have a source for materials that is "reasonable"?  I really don't know exactly what a fair price is since I am new to this, but so far I can find nothing less than $6/yard.  This may be as good as it gets.
      Also, any recommendations for helping the guys with this would be great.  I am planning on sewing the margins for them and letting them do the rest of the assembly.
      Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
      Jeff.

    • Mike Baker
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2010
        Try http://www.hancockfabrics.com/

        They have local stores in my area. We purchased ripstop to make some underqulits with at 4.99 a yard.

           Michael Baker

        Assistant Scoutmaster
                  Venture
         Boy Scout Troop 513

              Seagrove NC
               SR-876

        Message 3 of 6 , May 19, 2010
          Hi Jeff. Welcome. Contact me via email for 10% Boy Scout discount on all
          Speer Hammocks products, including the do-it-yourself fabrics...Ed

          Speer Hammocks Inc

          Quality Hammocks for Adventure Camping

          3947 Mudcut Rd

          Marion, NC 28752

          828.724.4444

          www.SpeerHammocks.com

          Ed@...

          Hammock Camping (the book)

          The Complete Guide to Greater Comfot, Conveninece and Freedom

          Hammock Camping-L (email group)

          A FREE open discussion group. Learn from the experts!

          Message 4 of 6 , May 19, 2010
            Michael Baker

            Assistant Scoutmaster
            Venture
            Boy Scout Troop 513

            Seagrove NC
            SR-876

            I'm making hammock with my scouts this afternoon

            We find nylon material at Walmart for $1.50 a yard (it takes 4 yards)
            (really!)

            You really don't need ripstop for the occasional use your scouts will do.
            Anyway check your walmart, some back east still sell material, or look for
            other discount shops. Almost any non stretch material will do for hammocks.

            I can usually find strapping for around 17 cents a foot at surplus stores or
            Army Navy Stores
            (each hammock takes 30 foot) (really!).

            I'm working on a source for free "mule tape" from the local power company
            (also check phone and cable company). They use it for pulling cables.

            Our hammocks are no sew, based on the Risk test hammock but tied instead
            with a double sheet bend on each end to the15 foot of strapping.

            We are going camping this weekend all the scouts and many of the dads will
            be hanging.

            Each hammock takes about 5 minutes to make.

            Ralph (who somteimes uses nylon strap that stretches a bit) :]
            Troop 353
            Pocatello, Idaho
            "I used to be an antelopeee..."

            On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Mike Baker <m1.baker@...> wrote:

            > Try http://www.hancockfabrics.com/
            >
            > They have local stores in my area. We purchased ripstop to make some
            > underqulits with at 4.99 a yard.
            >

            > Michael Baker
            >
            > Assistant Scoutmaster
            > Venture
            > Boy Scout Troop 513
            >
            > Seagrove NC
            > SR-876

          • Brian T
            Message 5 of 6 , May 19, 2010
              > We find nylon material at Walmart for $1.50 a yard (it takes 4 yards)
              > (really!)

              One of our walmarts finally pulled the plug on their fabric section. I still
              have 7 more I can venture to but I would guess they are all following suit.

              Brian

            • Mike Baker
              Message 6 of 6 , May 19, 2010
                Yeah,
                 We only have one Walmart left that sells fabric. I asked and they too are going to stop fabric sales as well.

                   Michael Baker

                Assistant Scoutmaster
                          Venture
                 Boy Scout Troop 513