Re: [Hammock Camping] Mule tape (was Re: Para cord)

  • Troy Eckhardt
    Message 1 of 48 , May 11, 2010
      I get my mule tape from my brother-in-law who works for BellSouth. They are
      not permitted to use it more than once. (Mule tape is a lot cheaper than
      fiber optic cable, so they would rather use the tape once and toss it than
      risk it breaking with a cable half-way through the conduit.) Lately it has
      been the type with a piece of copper wire in it (to help locate the conduit
      underground, I think.) I just pull the copper out. I do use it around
      trees and have had no scarring from it. As for size, I do not have a sample
      here at work, but it's slightly wider than 1/2 inch. I'll check the tape
      for the exact size later.

      On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Troy Eckhardt
      > <TRex.YahooGroups@... <TRex.YahooGroups%40gmail.com>>wrote:
      >

      > > I use mule tape exclusively, and I weigh 240 pounds. It's the way to go,
      > > as
      > > far as I'm concerned.
      > >
      > > Troy
      >
      > What size?
      >
      > What is your source?
      >
      > And do you use it around trees also?
      >
      > Ralph

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph