z-rest

  • Lenny Nichols
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 9, 2003
      Does the z-rest work very well as a pad in a Hennessy Hammock? I'm looking
      for a lightweight pad for an upcoming trip to Colorado. It will be my first
      trip with a Hammock, and from what I can tell I will need a pad of some
      sort. I expect the temperatures to be between the high 30s and low 50s at
      night. I'd like to know if the z-rest will work or if it will just be a
      pain to get onto and I'd be better off with some other pad. ...I'm also
      trying to find a pad that doesn't take much space in my pack.

      Thanks,

      Lenny Nichols, PMP
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 9, 2003
        > Does the z-rest work very well as a pad in a Hennessy
        > Hammock?

        Not for me... I hate them. Hate them, I tell you!

        Target has a nice wide pad that is light and cheap.

        It's also blue. I like blue.

        Shane
      • Debra Weisenstein
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003
          I use a Z-rest in my Speer hammock and like it. What I've done is cut
          a 3/4 length Z-rest into 2 pieces, one 6 sections, the other 4. I use
          the 6-section piece crosswise under my shoulders and the 4-section
          piece crosswise under my hips. The folds of the Z-rest let it curve
          around my body with the hammock with no lumps or buckles. The wide
          width around my shoulders and elbows gives insulation around the sides
          where the bag is compressed. The Z-rest does tend to end up with
          condensation in the little pockets by morning. If you want to use the
          cut Z-rest on the ground, just overlap a section and put this part in
          the small of your back.

          DebW

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Lenny Nichols <lnichols@u...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003
            Message
            Great idea Deb, sounds like a breakthrough concept since it should solve the too narrow, folding up and slipping problems inherent in using a Z-Rest the 'normal' way.  The condensation collecting in the pockets of the pad occurs when used on the ground as well, so is not unique to hammock use.  Thanks for the tip--wish I'd thought of it first!   ....Ed

            wrote:

            > Does the z-rest work very well as a pad in a Hennessy Hammock? I'm
            looking
            > for a lightweight pad for an upcoming trip to Colorado. It will be
            my first
            > trip with a Hammock, and from what I can tell I will need a pad of some
            > sort. I expect the temperatures to be between the high 30s and low
            50s at
            > night. I'd like to know if the z-rest will work or if it will just be a
            > pain to get onto and I'd be better off with some other pad.  ...I'm also
            > trying to find a pad that doesn't take much space in my pack.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Lenny Nichols, PMP

          • Ross
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003
              ---Don't you just hate it when some one else comes up with an idea
              that really works.I have been thinking of getting a "blue" pad and
              cutting it for summer use .Your idea sounds like a winner.You think it
              would work if I use 2 sections across in stead of 1?
              Ross

              In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...> wrote:
              > Great idea Deb, sounds like a breakthrough concept since it should
              solve
              > the too narrow, folding up and slipping problems inherent in using a
              > Z-Rest the 'normal' way. The condensation collecting in the pockets
              of
              > the pad occurs when used on the ground as well, so is not unique to
              > hammock use. Thanks for the tip--wish I'd thought of it first!
              ....Ed

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
              05

              065843:HM/A=1652964/R=0/SIG=11t2ts2ch/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
              mq
              > so=60178276&partid=3170658> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egr
              ou
              > pmail/S=:HM/A=1652964/rand=447682944>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • ciyd01
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                <dweisens@a...> wrote:
                > I use a Z-rest in my Speer hammock and like it. What I've done is
                cut
                > a 3/4 length Z-rest into 2 pieces, one 6 sections, the other 4.

                What are you using under your legs and feet?

                I was going to cut a Target blue pad into 2 pieces, one for torso
                the other for legs and feet. This would make getting in and out of
                the Hennessey hammock easier. It would also allow me to use the foot
                piece as a sit pad for breaks and camp and such.

                A lot of folks here use a mylar space blanket as well. Question: do
                you use the mylar between the pad and hammock or between the pad and
                sleeper? I'm thinking of doing some experiments on heat transfer to
                see which is most efficient.

                ciyd
              • Debra Weisenstein
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                  > <dweisens@a...> wrote:
                  > > I use a Z-rest in my Speer hammock and like it. What I've done is
                  > cut
                  > > a 3/4 length Z-rest into 2 pieces, one 6 sections, the other 4.
                  >
                  > What are you using under your legs and feet?

                  I've been trying a fleece vest under my feet inside the sleeping bag,
                  but it tends to shift around quite a bit. Just wearing wool socks
                  seems adequate for temperatures above 55. I've been getting by with
                  nothing under my knees. The upper Z-rest piece covers me to the
                  elbows and the lower one to the mid-thighs. I haven't tested the
                  temperature range on this setup yet. Guessing it's good to the
                  mid-40s, possibly lower.

                  > A lot of folks here use a mylar space blanket as well. Question: do
                  > you use the mylar between the pad and hammock or between the pad and
                  > sleeper? I'm thinking of doing some experiments on heat transfer to
                  > see which is most efficient.

                  No, I don't currently use mylar. If I did, I'd put it inside the
                  sleeping bag. I have a thermo-lite reflective bivy which I've tried
                  inside the sleeping bag as a vapor barrier, and it does add warmth.

                  > ciyd
                • canoetrip_2000
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 11, 2003
                    I LOVE mine. I am about to head out with it over the weekend. Marsanne
                  • robbertbos
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 21, 2003
                      What to do if you still find the Z-Rest (or yourself) sliding and
                      slipping around in the hammock? Stick the Z-Rest to your body.

                      If you like to sleep on your back, and want a warmer torso: Take a big
                      piece of Z-Rest (6, 7 or 8 sections) and put it on your back. Use a
                      belt or (elastic) rope and it will stay put. Like a harness.
                      Remarkably flexible.

                      Take two section pieces, and put them around the backside of your arms
                      and lower legs. Use rubber bands, and they will stay there - like
                      splints.

                      Other multi functional uses?
                      You can walk or sit with the big piece on your back (or front) as
                      protection against really cold & windy weather. You can sit on the two
                      section piece. And use both as comfy pad between your ultra light
                      backpack and your back (I have permanent elastic bands on my backpack
                      for that purpose). If you want to sleep on the floor, use some Duct
                      tape to re-create a full length Z-Rest.

                      Want less condensation? Make tiny holes in the Z-Rests valleys with a
                      red hot needle or nail.

                      Have fun experimenting!

                      Robbert Bos, from Amsterdam
                    • firefly

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 21, 2003
                          Message
                          Thanks for the ideas Robbert.  I haven't tried the elastic band idea, but it sounds workable....Ed