Mule tape (was Re: Para cord)

  • sawyer7271
    Message 1 of 48 , May 11, 2010
      Find your local bell service office... Look for big trucks with large spools. The phone companies install conduits loaded with mule tape, then use the mule tape to pull in fiberoptic cable.

      Once it's used, it's generally thrown away. Ask nice, and somebody might give you 1000'... Unfortunately, they use rope more than mule tape, so I'm waiting for a friend to let me know when they have some.

      John

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lindroos <lindrom@...> wrote:

      > As to mule tape, I have tried it on a very light "casual" hammock that I keep in the RV.  It is great.   If you know a telephone installation or repair guy, he might just have some that is "surplus" or maybe has a damaged spot in the very middle of an otherwise nice 30 or 40 foot piece that is available for use.

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph