Re: Para cord

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 48 , May 9, 2010
      If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and stretchs again under weight. I had some of the more expensive, supposedly mil surplus real para cord, VS the cheap stuff sold as paracute cord. I did pull my hammock as tightly as I could manage. With the trees any significant distance apart, my hammock dipped to the ground.

      I totally agree that the Spectra and Amsteel cords are some of the best ways to go. I think this discussion started when a member asked about why the already available parachute cord dd not seem to be working for her. Too bad we can't walk into the local discount store and buy exactly what we need, but that is part of the beauty of the Internet. We can find out what else is available from other people who already have marked the path for us.

      Happy Trails!

      Rosaleen

      Re: Para cord
      Posted by: "Keth Comollo" kcomollo@... Bleemus
      Date: Sat May 8, 2010 6:19 am ((PDT))

      I made myself Dyneema whoopie slings. After the first use you have zero
      stretch, super ultra light and adjustable. No reason to play around with
      anything else for me.

      YMMV

      Bleemus

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph