RE: [Hammock Camping] Para cord

  • David Ball
    Message 1 of 48 , May 8, 2010
      I would add an "amen" to that. I have whoopie slings with both, my wife
      using the spectra and it is just great. One inch straps around the tree
      with a dutch clip, a marlin spike hitch to hold the whoopies and we are
      good to go. Eliminated straps, biners, and cinch buckles. Set up is
      simpler, load is lighter.

      Personal growth, team building and leadership development through
      outdoor adventure.

      http://www.riverjourneys.org

      On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 8:38 PM , Keth Comollo wrote:

      While the science of learning about a rope is always fun I would
      suggest
      spending some time with Amsteel (Dyneema). It is lighter than paracord,
      doesn't stretch, is as strong as steel (7/64" =1600 lbs) and doesnt
      absorb
      water. In my opinion the ultimate hammock suspension cord has already
      been
      invented. Dyneema or Spectra.

      Cheers,
      Keth

      _____

      From: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph