RE: [Hammock Camping] Para cord

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 48 , May 8, 2010
      It's been my experience, depending on how far apart the trees are, you can't
      reach high enough to keep yourself off the ground with 1" nylon tree straps
      (depending on how long they are).

      I use 2" polypropylene webbing that is 10' long on each end. If the trees
      are really big (Cascades) I use two 20' straps.

      Jerry

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear
      reviews on the planet.

      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph