Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Para cord

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 48 , May 8, 2010
      OTOH-I keep going back to our local off-price/bargain stores. It is not
      uncommon to find the cheap steam iron or whatever disappoints by wearing out
      too fast or haveing some large design issue, like a control that is moved by
      my hand as the product is in use. Lack of quality may be why the item is on
      that store's shelf...improper directions or packaging may fall into that
      category

      Regards,

      The stretch test it is!

      I'll make a new test hammock, and tape off a 5 foot and 10 foot length.
      Next I'll set up for a high, tight hang
      Then climb in for a test nap ("honest honey, I'm doing science!")
      Then measure the amount of stretch.

      If I can I'll re-tie and stretch again

      When it comes down to it, I really don't care if it is poly or nylon.
      What I care about is 1) will it hold, 2) will it not stretch excessivly

      Thanks for your input

      Ralph (Cheep Cheeep Cheeeep)

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph