Re: Para cord

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 48 , May 8 6:02 AM
      Hi, Ralph-

      Well, I just checked in with my resident archery guru. I know he does a flame test to differentiate between Vectran and FastFlight bow string materials. The FastFlight is a dacron (polyester) and Vectran is Spectra. The dacron melts into a ball while the Spectra is like a fuse.

      He didn't have a quick solution to the nylon from polyester/polypropylene differentiation, other than mine: Check the stretch. OK, once you open that package, you may not be able to return your strapping, but that may be the only way you can test it. Does the package give intended uses? Maybe that will give you a clue as to whether or not it fits your purpose.

      OTOH-I keep going back to our local off-price/bargain stores. It is not uncommon to find the cheap steam iron or whatever disappoints by wearing out too fast or haveing some large design issue, like a control that is moved by my hand as the product is in use. Lack of quality may be why the item is on that store's shelf...improper directions or packaging may fall into that category

      Regards,

      Rosaleen

      Re: Para cord
      Posted by: "Ralph Oborn" Ralph.oborn@... polecatpop
      Date: Fri May 7, 2010 6:39 am ((PDT))

      You will see more or less stretch, depending on how far apart the trees are
      and the weight in the hammock. With less weight and tres that are close
      together, maybe para will work, sort of. The bottom ikne is, that all the
      people telling you that parachute cord stretches too much for hanging a
      hammock are just plain right. The fact that nylon rope stretches makes it
      good for some applications, but not this one. It is also why you will see
      some sort of poly webbing straps suggested, not nylon.

      Regards,

      Rosaleen

      How do you tell the difference between poly and nylon strapping?

      I got a deal at a discount store, 150 foot of bright orange one inch
      strapping $25.

      Is it really a deal?

      Ralph

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22 11:19 AM
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph