Re: [Hammock Camping] Para cord

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 48 , May 7, 2010
      1 in webbing is pretty narrow for tree huggers. I guess it's OK if you just
      want to say you are protecting the trees, but to really take it easy on
      them, one should use seatbelt webbing, and go around the tree two whole
      times.

      On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, egiese01 <egiese01@...> wrote:

      > EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, I found out yesterday that the nylon webbing I bought to replace the
      > heavier stuff didn't work..... strung it up, got into the hammock, and
      > ZOOoooop...... slowly and smoothly down to the ground in about 5 seconds. So
      > I'm back to the way the hammock came to me.
      > >
      > > It'll work, and if it doesn't, I'll sleep in the shelters. It's worth
      > trying to get this figured out for the comfort.
      > >
      > > MacGyver
      > >
      > > your making this harder than it has to be, use some 1in. webbing, 6ft
      > long get some dutch clips, there you now have your tree hugger, attach the
      > hammock with some whoopie slings and a marlin spike hitch knot, all done!!!
      > dutch clips or a carabiner, i prefer the dutch clips 8oz for the pair
      > >
      > > ________________________________
      > > From: Rosaleen Sullivan rosaleen43@...
      > >

      > > You will see more or less stretch, depending on how far apart the trees
      > are and the weight in the hammock. With less weight and tres that are close
      > together, maybe para will work, sort of. The bottom ikne is, that all the
      > people telling you that parachute cord stretches too much for hanging a
      > hammock are just plain right. The fact that nylon rope stretches makes it
      > good for some applications, but not this one. It is also why you will see
      > some sort of poly webbing straps suggested, not nylon.

      http://parkswhistles.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks
      http://twitter.com/LuthierCarey

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph