Para cord

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 48 , May 7, 2010
      Hey, MacGyver-

      You will see more or less stretch, depending on how far apart the trees are and the weight in the hammock. With less weight and tres that are close together, maybe para will work, sort of. The bottom ikne is, that all the people telling you that parachute cord stretches too much for hanging a hammock are just plain right. The fact that nylon rope stretches makes it good for some applications, but not this one. It is also why you will see some sort of poly webbing straps suggested, not nylon.

      Regards,

      Rosaleen

      Para cord
      Posted by: "EHamilton" imagainst_the_wind@... imagainst_the_wind
      Date: Thu May 6, 2010 4:20 pm ((PDT))

      Is parachute cord strong enough to use in combo with tree-huggers to hang a hammock? For a 125-pound person? I'm a newbie on cords, ropes, etc., having not used any of them for anything except clothesline and bear bags.....

      MacGyver

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph