Re: [Hammock Camping] Para cord

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 48 , May 6, 2010
      Thanks, guys! Someone gave me 20 feet of para cord so I was just wondering. I'm going off on Monday for my AT section hike (a week, Harpers Ferry to ?) with what I've got. Not enough time now to get anything new. If this "new" second-hand tinkered-with hammock doesn't work, the worst that can happen is I'll sleep in the shelters. It's been OK in the woods out back except the tarp leaked from somewhere when it rained hard. It's supposed to rain tomorrow night, so I'll have a chance then to see what the problem is and fix it Saturday or Sunday. If I can't find the leak before I go, I'll no doubt sleep in shelters if it rains.

      It's not the trip of a lifetime, thankfully.... it's just getting away for a week. I'd like to go the 80 miles to the AT halfway point but if I don't get that far I'll do it next time.

      MacGyver

      ________________________________
      From: Black Wolfe blackwolfe@...
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph