Re: [Hammock Camping] Para cord

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 48 , May 6, 2010
      On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>
      wrote:

      > Is parachute cord strong enough to use in combo with tree-huggers to hang a
      > hammock? For a 125-pound person? I'm a newbie on cords, ropes, etc., having
      > not used any of them for anything except clothesline and bear bags.....
      >
      > MacGyver

      The way the forces work out (remember trig?) a 200 pound person can put
      almost 400 pounds of force on each rope of the hammock. Para cord is not
      designed for that much of a load.

      With almost any thing you want to use I would suggest: try it at home (or a
      park) first!
      You don't want a "trip of a lifetime" ruined by an equipment failure the
      first night. :]

      Ralph

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 48 of 48 , May 22, 2010
        > If a rope stretches and stays stretched, I think its usefullness for
        > hammocking is different from if that rope stretches, goes back, and
        > stretchs again under weight.

        Correct can't hang a hammock with a bungie cord.

        Rogene

        Trip Report!!!

        My scouts went camping last night.
        6 scouts, 5 dads, 3 leaders, 12 hammocks 1 tent

        I was in my HH the rest of the hammocks were risk test hammocks with sheet
        bend and diagonal blue tarps.

        It rained most of the night!!
        Everybody slept warm and dry!!

        Most of the hammocks were made with poly strapping (one with mule tape) All
        performed flawlessly!

        4 hammocks were made with nylon strapping, the two kids that slept in them
        did fine,
        the two dads that tried to sleep in them had to retie in the middle of the
        night because they (slowly ) hit the ground.

        As the group here predicted I had invented bungee hammocking.
        One inch nylon has to much stretch to be used for an adult hammock.

        Ralph