Re: How do you wash a down sleeping bag?

  • LoveRise@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2010
      Wow Jerry! I really appreciate your exhaustive reply. Your information that
      you shared is so exacting that I began to think this process was going to
      be much more labor intensive and somewhat daunting. So after reading all of
      the informative replys, I walked outside to where my sleeping bag is
      laying in the sun hoping, just hoping the scent had subsided yet NO so it looks
      like I'm going to have wash it which now I feel I will be able to do with
      these wonderful instructions. Being basically a person who prefers to take
      the path of least resistance, I may try your recommendation for the McNett
      scent spray.

      If the scent is just on the shell that might work yet if it is a dog scent
      it has probably permeated into the feathers which would require me to wash
      it.

      I'll be attending a bike repair clinic at rei tomorrow night so maybe I can
      pick some up. I'd really like to be able to avert having to wash and dry
      this huge down bag yet I am grateful to know how to do it properly now.

      Celebrate Life!

      Laurie (http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveRise) _YouTube - Hiking Castle
      Rock_ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8dvNx4LqzY)

      "Make the journey worthy of the destination"

      McNett also makes MiraZyme which is a great odor killer. That is what I
      used
      on one of my Valandre bags after The Unfortunate Pee Bottle Incident....on

    • LoveRise@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2010
        Great tips Cara...thank you for sharing!

        Celebrate Life!

        Laurie (http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveRise) _YouTube - Hiking Castle
        Rock_ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8dvNx4LqzY)

        "Make the journey worthy of the destination"

        I took the comforter and put it into my washing machine (Japanese made,
        top-loading, no central agitator), removed the mesh bag, and turned on
        the spin cycle. I ran the bag through about 40 minutes of spin. Then,
        I hung the bag in the sun for two days, fluffing whenever I thought
        about it.

        It's during the drying that I've learned to appreciate the black side of
        the JRB quilts. When I washed my no-sniveler, it dried in <4 hours of
        direct sunlight! I am contemplating dying the comforter black!

      • EHamilton
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2010
          And Cara Lin's suggestion to use vinegar in the final rinse should nail the odor. Not sure if you're talking about "wet dog" smell or pee smell but vinegar is the antidote to pee smell, actually just about any smell. CL and Jerry both gave really good instructions that I'll be saving!

          MacGyver