Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: How do you wash a down sleeping bag?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3 8:39 PM
      I spent this weekend washing my husband's queen-sized down comforter
      from LLBean because our new cat decided to pee on it--twice! There's
      not much more lingering than cat pee!

      The first thing I did was stuff the whole comforter into one of those
      mesh laundry sacks for washing delicate items. This got most of the air
      out and contained the bag. Then, I put the bag in a tub. At my house,
      we don't have a tub, but I've a nice large plastic basin. I used the
      shower head to fill the basin with cold water (no point wasting energy
      to heat the water when I'm going to sun-dry) and I used my feet to
      squish the water into the comforter and the air out of it. Then, I
      added probably two cap-fulls of woolite. I still had the woolite and it
      goes into suspension well, but last Fall, I used ordinary 'organic'
      laundry soap (mostly baking soda) for my JRB No-Sniveler. So, I spent
      20 or so minutes squishing the soapy water through the comforter. It's
      lots easier to use your feet than your hands. Then, I dumped out all
      the soapy water and filled the tub with clear water and squished the bag
      some more. I think I did the 'rinse' cycle four times. The last time,
      I dumped in about 1 cup of vinegar to make sure to get all the soap out.
      I did not rinse out the vinegar. After I poured the water out, I
      stood on the comforter to squeeze out more water. Then I folded it in
      half and squeezed some more. Finally, I folded it into quarters and
      squeezed. It looked a lot like a huge roll of bread dough. All this
      time, the comforter was in the mesh bag.

      I took the comforter and put it into my washing machine (Japanese made,
      top-loading, no central agitator), removed the mesh bag, and turned on
      the spin cycle. I ran the bag through about 40 minutes of spin. Then,
      I hung the bag in the sun for two days, fluffing whenever I thought
      about it.

      It's during the drying that I've learned to appreciate the black side of
      the JRB quilts. When I washed my no-sniveler, it dried in <4 hours of
      direct sunlight! I am contemplating dying the comforter black!

      Right now, we have a happy, fluffy, comforter and my husband and I, at
      least, don't notice any cat odor. I admit we've not left it on the bed
      long enough to give the cat a chance to see if he notices any odor.

      CL
    • LoveRise@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4 10:45 AM
        Great tips Cara...thank you for sharing!

        Celebrate Life!

        Laurie (http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveRise) _YouTube - Hiking Castle
        Rock_ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8dvNx4LqzY)

        "Make the journey worthy of the destination"

        Message 3 of 8 , May 4 10:55 AM
          Wow Jerry! I really appreciate your exhaustive reply. Your information that
          you shared is so exacting that I began to think this process was going to
          be much more labor intensive and somewhat daunting. So after reading all of
          the informative replys, I walked outside to where my sleeping bag is
          laying in the sun hoping, just hoping the scent had subsided yet NO so it looks
          like I'm going to have wash it which now I feel I will be able to do with
          these wonderful instructions. Being basically a person who prefers to take
          the path of least resistance, I may try your recommendation for the McNett
          scent spray.

          If the scent is just on the shell that might work yet if it is a dog scent
          it has probably permeated into the feathers which would require me to wash
          it.

          I'll be attending a bike repair clinic at rei tomorrow night so maybe I can
          pick some up. I'd really like to be able to avert having to wash and dry
          this huge down bag yet I am grateful to know how to do it properly now.

          Celebrate Life!

          Laurie (http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveRise) _YouTube - Hiking Castle
          Rock_ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8dvNx4LqzY)

          "Make the journey worthy of the destination"

          McNett also makes MiraZyme which is a great odor killer. That is what I
          used
          on one of my Valandre bags after The Unfortunate Pee Bottle Incident....on

        • LoveRise@aol.com

            Message 5 of 8 , May 4 4:44 PM
              And Cara Lin's suggestion to use vinegar in the final rinse should nail the odor. Not sure if you're talking about "wet dog" smell or pee smell but vinegar is the antidote to pee smell, actually just about any smell. CL and Jerry both gave really good instructions that I'll be saving!

              MacGyver