[Hammock Camping] Re: MacGyver report

  • Sandy
    Message 1 of 88 , May 3 9:13 AM
      opie at whooopieslings dot com has an all-in-one system now. I think it's about 4' of strap to protect the tree, a whoopie sling, aluminum ring (to prevent water from dripping into your hammock), and then a chain of his ultralightweight whatever (same as used for whoopie slings) that are tied or pulled thru channel of hammokc.

      $45.

      sandy in miami

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

      > OK, gang.... since I don't have appropriate ropes and lightweight webbing yet, I'm going to put the existing webbing back on (at least it won't stretch out and put me on the ground.... anyone need 2 10-foot lengths of nylon rope for anything?) and see what else I can order. I looked at www.speerhammocks.com last night and you are right, there's a ton of DIY stuff available. I will check the Arrowhead site too. I just realized I gotta work fast..... I'm going to Harper's Ferry a week from Monday and hiking for a week. I shouldn't have let so much time slide. GACK!!!
      >
      > And I do want to keep weight down as much as possible. I've been cycling and running but not backpacking since last summer, and haven't worked up to a 30-pound load. I may have to carry it w/o working up to it and just suck it up.
      >
      > MacGyver (who actually was christened that b/c of cooking equipment, not shelter innovations)

    • Rogene Calkins
      Message 88 of 88 , May 27 2:53 AM
        MacGyver,
        Great sounds wonderful that Tom was able to fix you up!
        Sorry I missed seeing you at Trail Days this year.
        Rogene