Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: OMG!!!

  • Kerri Larkin
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2 11:21 PM
      Amen to that!

      Kerri

      ________________________________
      From: Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, 3 May, 2010 15:32:55
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: OMG!!!

      Over sleeping is a common complaint (?) among hangers

      Ralph

    • LoveRise@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3 10:55 AM
        Greetings Everyone!

        This weekend at the once a month gear sale at REI, I scored a Mountain
        Hardware Lyell -15 down bag with 2lbs of 600 goose down for $39.00. This is a
        $350 sleeping bag so I just had to grab it to use in my Hammock or to try
        to make an underquilt with it. YET the reason it was sooo cheap is even
        though the bag is in almost new condition it smells like dog in some places.
        Which makes me wonder if the dog smell is just on the nylon bag or has
        permeated into the down and how to deal with it.

        So I really need assistance in how to best get that scent out without
        ruining the down in the bag. The directions say not to dry clean and to not use
        liquid detergent.

        So it suggests washing it in a front loading machine and tumble drying on
        gentle in a front loader. I have heard to help keep the loft to add a tennis
        ball or a sneaker to the dryer. Would those things help or hinder the
        process?

        Right now I have it airing out in full sun which I noticed reduced some of
        the scent yesterday when I put it in the sun yet then it seemed like the
        scent was back this morning.

        So any suggestions on treating this great bag with the care it needs so I
        can use it would be greatly appreciated!!

        Until then...Celebrate Life!

        Laurie
        _YouTube - No Mess Trail Baking with Sea to Summit Folding Cup, Pinnacle
        Soloist and Trangia Cookset Part 3_
        (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dPZAoXxxk)

        "Make the journey worthy of the destination"

      • sawyer7271
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3 2:12 PM
          I don't know if I consider that worth complaining about! :-)

        • ratsmouth@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3 3:42 PM
            In my experience, everybody ELSE complains about it....as in, "Are you
            EVER going to climb out of that thing????!!!! GET UP!!! GET UP!!!" My
            friends laughed the first time I put up my Hennessy. They're not
            laughing anymore. I think they're envious.

            Ratty