Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: OMG!!!

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2010
      I was so comfortable last night, I overslept my alarm watch (which never ever happens, it always wakes me up) and my husband had to call me on my cell phone to get me up in time to go meet up with our son. It rained a little but I stayed nice and dry, much better than in the tent. I used my sleeping bag as a quilt and just tucked the edges under me. Just one little cool spot down the center of my back, and I can fix that by bringing up the undercover a little.

      Thanks for the suggestion to see if there's anyone near me on the forum. Good idea!

      MacGyver

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2010
        Over sleeping is a common complaint (?) among hangers

        Ralph

        On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 4:40 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

        > I was so comfortable last night, I overslept my alarm watch (which never
        > ever happens, it always wakes me up) and my husband had to call me on my
        > cell phone to get me up in time to go meet up with our son. It rained a
        > little but I stayed nice and dry, much better than in the tent. I used my
        > sleeping bag as a quilt and just tucked the edges under me. Just one little
        > cool spot down the center of my back, and I can fix that by bringing up the
        > undercover a little.
        >
        > Thanks for the suggestion to see if there's anyone near me on the forum.
        > Good idea!
        >
        > MacGyver

      • Kerri Larkin
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2010
          Amen to that!

          Kerri

          ________________________________

        • LoveRise@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2010
            Greetings Everyone!

            This weekend at the once a month gear sale at REI, I scored a Mountain
            Hardware Lyell -15 down bag with 2lbs of 600 goose down for $39.00. This is a
            $350 sleeping bag so I just had to grab it to use in my Hammock or to try
            to make an underquilt with it. YET the reason it was sooo cheap is even
            though the bag is in almost new condition it smells like dog in some places.
            Which makes me wonder if the dog smell is just on the nylon bag or has
            permeated into the down and how to deal with it.

            So I really need assistance in how to best get that scent out without
            ruining the down in the bag. The directions say not to dry clean and to not use
            liquid detergent.

            So it suggests washing it in a front loading machine and tumble drying on
            gentle in a front loader. I have heard to help keep the loft to add a tennis
            ball or a sneaker to the dryer. Would those things help or hinder the
            process?

            Right now I have it airing out in full sun which I noticed reduced some of
            the scent yesterday when I put it in the sun yet then it seemed like the
            scent was back this morning.

            So any suggestions on treating this great bag with the care it needs so I
            can use it would be greatly appreciated!!

            Until then...Celebrate Life!

            Laurie
            _YouTube - No Mess Trail Baking with Sea to Summit Folding Cup, Pinnacle
            Soloist and Trangia Cookset Part 3_
            (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dPZAoXxxk)

            "Make the journey worthy of the destination"

          • sawyer7271
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2010
              I don't know if I consider that worth complaining about! :-)

            • ratsmouth@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2010
                In my experience, everybody ELSE complains about it....as in, "Are you
                EVER going to climb out of that thing????!!!! GET UP!!! GET UP!!!" My
                friends laughed the first time I put up my Hennessy. They're not
                laughing anymore. I think they're envious.

                Ratty