Third Southeast Hammock Hangers Trip--Sep 20 2003!

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2003
      OK, here's the next trip--everyone welcome! Join me, Ed Speer,
      author of the Hammock Camping book and monitor of this List for a fun
      late-summer weekend. We had a lot of fun on the first two trips and
      this is another chance for hammockers to show their stuff, share
      ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old
      friends and make new ones! Check out the newest stay-warm gear!
      Future hammockers also welcome. Everyone will be responsible for
      their own gear, food, and behavior; however, we will meet at the
      trailhead and hike in together.

      Moderate 5 mile hike, overnite camp, Near Mortimer in the Pisgah
      National Forest--about 20 miles NW of Lenoir, and 15 miles north of
      Morganton, NC. This area, The Wilson Creek Wild and Scenic River
      area, is NC's secret wilderness treasure with numerous unspoiled
      mountain streams and wild waterfalls. We will hike in 4 miles along
      the beautiful cascading North Harper Creek, a tributary of Wilson
      Creek. We will camp Saturday nite and hike out 1 mile on Sun. We will
      shuttle a vehicle/s to each end. There will be plenty of time for
      visiting waterfalls and swimming in the creek. The hike requires at
      least 7 stream crossings--this means fording rocky streams in ankle-
      to knee-deep swift water! The water should still be comfortably warm
      with Autum just around the corner. Fabric tennis shoes or sandles
      with secure straps are recommended for the crossings--wearing the
      same shoes for the hike in eliminates the need to change at each
      crossing--extra dry shoes for camp are recommended. Expect one
      stream crossing on the way out Sunday. Two hiking poles/staffs make
      the crossings safer. Camp will be a large open grove of holly trees
      on a flat bench along the creek--plenty of room for up to 30
      hammocks, plus unlimited space for tents or tarps. We will begin the
      hike at 11am on Sat (plan for snack lunch at Harper Creek Falls, 1.3
      miles in). The 4 mile trail in is moderate, while the 1 mile trail
      out is strenuous.

      Access is from Lenoir or Morganton, NC; both accessible via I40
      and/or US 321. On I40, Morganton is about 55 miles east of Asheville
      and 95 miles west of Winston-Salem. Detailed directions to the
      traihead will be posted soon. There are plenty of additional
      spectacular trails in this area for folks looking for more adventure
      before or after the weekend--hiking, kayaking, fishing, waterfalls,
      etc!

      Check out these links for info on the area:
      http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/wilson_creek.pdf
      This is an informative Adobe Acrobat article on Wilson Creek

      http://www.mountaintimes.com/summer/hiking5.php3
      Short info on Wilson Creek hiking

      http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/wilson_creek1.htm
      Waterfall pics! Harper Creek Falls is the one we will see!

      Signing up is not necessary, but letting me know will be appreciated--
      just respond to this or any later posts on the list or use my email
      at: ed@...
      Hope to see everone Sep 20th! ....Ed
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2003
        Message
        Here's a useful link to purchase the Pisgah National Forest's Wilson Creek Trail Map.  This map covers all the trails in the area and I will have mine on the hike.  The map is not required to attend the hike; some folks just like to have their own....Ed

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 4, 2003
          Everyone Welcome!

          Join us for the third Southeast Hammock Hangers Association campout
          on Saturday, September 20! It's FREE! This is an informal group
          event and everyone is welcome--veteran, novice or future hammockers.
          See, learn and share your knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts.
          This will be an easy overnighter with an enjoyable 5-mile one-way
          hike from the cars. We will meet mid-morning Saturday and hike
          together to the campsite, returning to the cars on Sunday.

          Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of
          the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun late-summer weekend.
          Previous trips were run in Feb and April of this year and we had a
          lot of fun; this is another chance for hammockers to show their
          stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new
          way'. Meet old friends and make new ones! Check out the newest stay-
          warm gear! Everyone will be responsible for his or her own
          transportation, gear, food and behavior; however, we will meet at the
          trailhead and hike in together.

          The plan is to camp on the famous Mountains-To-Sea Trail along North
          Harper Creek in the Pisgah National Forest near Mortimer, Caldwell
          Co, NC (between Blowing Rock and Lenoir, NC; about 40 miles NW of
          Hickory, 20 miles NW of Lenoir, and 15 miles north of Morganton, NC.
          Access is via Interstate 40, NC-181 or US-321). This area, The
          Wilson Creek Wild and Scenic River area is NC's secret wilderness
          treasure with numerous unspoiled mountain streams and spectacular
          waterfalls.

          We will hike in 4 miles along the beautiful cascading North Harper
          Creek, a tributary of Wilson Creek. We will camp Saturday nite and
          hike out 1 mile on Sunday. We will shuttle a vehicle/s to each end.
          There will be plenty of time for visiting waterfalls and swimming in
          the creek.

          The hike requires 8 stream crossings--this means fording rocky
          streams in ankle-to knee-deep swift water! The water should still be
          comfortably warm with autumn just nipping at our heels. Fabric
          tennis shoes or sandals with secure straps are recommended for the
          crossings--wearing the same shoes for the hike in eliminates the need
          to change at each crossing. Extra dry shoes for camp are
          recommended. Expect one stream crossing on the way out Sunday.
          Carrying two hiking poles/staffs will make the crossings safer.

          Camp will be a large open grove of holly trees on a flat bench along
          the creek--plenty of room for up to 30 hammocks, plus unlimited space
          for tents or tarps. We will begin the hike at 11am on Saturday (plan
          for snack lunch at Harper Creek Falls, 1.3 miles in). The 4-mile hike
          in on Saturday is moderate, while the 1-mile hike out on Sunday is
          strenuous. We will shuttle back to the cars by mid-day on Sunday.

          Expect daytime temps of 40-75F and nighttime temps of 25-50F. It's
          generally still quite warm and mild this time of the year, however
          passing cold fronts can drop the temperature significantly. Should
          fowl weather cause the trip to be canceled, notices will be emailed
          to individuals as well as posted on Hammock Camping-L

          Access is from Lenoir or Morganton, NC; both accessible via I-40
          and/or US-321. On I-40, Morganton is about 55 miles east of
          Asheville and 95 miles west of Winston-Salem. Detailed driving
          directions to the trailhead are given below.

          There are plenty of additional spectacular trails in this area for
          folks looking for more adventure before or after the weekend--hiking,
          kayaking, fishing, waterfalls, etc! Expect some early fall colors.

          Check out these links for info on the area:
          http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/wilson_creek.pdf
          This is an informative Adobe Acrobat article on Wilson Creek

          http://www.mountaintimes.com/summer/hiking5.php3
          Short info on Wilson Creek hiking

          http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/wilson_creek1.htm
          Waterfall pics! Harper Creek Falls is the one we will see!

          To purchase the trail map: Pisgah National Forest's Wilson Creek
          Trail Map
          http://www.ezflyfish.com/ncustrailmap.html
          This map covers all the trails in the area and I will have mine on
          the hike. The map is not required to attend the hike; but some folks
          just like to have their own. The nearest ranger station where you
          can buy the map is listed in the notes below.

          Access From I-40 (mileage is cumulative from exit 100 on I-40)

          0.0 Exit 100 (Jamestown Rd & Glen Alpine exit) on west side of
          Morganton, NC; service station
          Follow Jamestown Rd north (Glen Alpine is to the south)

          1.9 Jct Jamestown Rd & US-70; KFC, Taco Bell, gas station
          Continue north on Jamestown Rd thru traffic light

          2.8 Jct Jamestown Rd & NC-126 West; Jamestown Rd becomes NC-126 East
          Continue straight ahead thru traffic light on NC-126 East

          3.4 Jct NC-126 East & NC-181; restaurants, grocery stores, gas
          stations, drug store, K-Mart
          Turn left (west) onto NC-181 at traffic light; follow NC-181 west out
          of town

          14.0 Space gas station (small country store)--last chance for gas,
          check your gauge!

          14.1 Jct NC-181 & SR-1405 (Brown Mountain Beach Road--paved country
          road),
          Turn right (east) onto SR-1405 and pass Smyrna Baptist Church on
          left, continue east on SR-1405

          19.3 Jct SR-1405 & SR-1328 (watch for sign: Pisgah National Forest
          Campground--Mortimer)
          Turn left (north) onto paved SR-1328; follow north past Brown
          Mountain Beach campground, pavement ends, continue on gravel SR-1328
          parallel to Wilson Creek, note numerous pull offs for creek access

          26.7 Harper Creek Trailhead (trail # 260) on left (west) side of
          road--watch for small sign!; limited parking along road;
          meet here (It is 1.2 mi north to NC-90 at Mortimer)

          NOTES:
          For those driving south on NC-181, the jct with SR-1405 (Brown
          Mountain Beach Road--paved country road) is 2.6 mi south of the NC-
          181/Blue Ridge Parkway jct. Continue with directions above.

          For those driving south on US-321: take paved NC-90 west from Lenoir;
          at Collettsville, turn left (south) onto paved SR-1337; follow SR-
          1337 for 3.2 mi to right (north) turn onto paved SR-1328. Continue
          with directions above. Note: do not follow NC-90 all the way to
          Mortimer--it soon becomes a very curvy, long and narrow gravel road.

          Food, gas & motels available at I-40 exits 103 & 105; also at
          intersections along the US-64/US-70/NC-18 Truck Route around west
          side of Morganton; hospital at exit 105 (NC-18)

          For those approaching from the west on I-40---Exit 90 Nebo & Lake
          James Exit; US Forest Service Grandfather District Ranger Station
          located on access road on north side of Interstate; Wilson Creek Area
          Trail Map available for purchase

          We will meet at the Harper Creek Trailhead (trail #260) and shuttle
          some cars to the north trailhead. Hike begins at 11 am Saturday, Sep
          20. Do not leave valuables in parked cars.

          Signing up is not necessary, but letting me know will be appreciated--
          you may email me at: ed@... or call (828) 724-4444

          Hope to see everyone September 20th! ....Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 10, 2003
            Our next Hammock Hangers Campout is coming up weekend after next!
            Everyone is welcome! About 7 hammockers have already signed up so
            it's promissing to be a good turn out. The temps here in western NC
            have begun their slide toward Fall--ideal weather for camping is with
            us again! This will be an excellent oppurtunity to rub elbows with
            other hammockers and compare notes. Novice and expert alike will be
            there. This could be the last good camping weekend of summer.

            Each person is responsible for his/her own gear and food. You do not
            have to sign up--just show up at the trailhead at 11am on Sat
            (driving directions below). However, letting me know ahead of time
            that you're coming would be appreciated and means we will watch for
            you.

            > Everyone Welcome!
            >
            > Join us for the third Southeast Hammock Hangers Association campout
            > on Saturday, September 20! It's FREE! This is an informal group
            > event and everyone is welcome--veteran, novice or future
            hammockers.
            > See, learn and share your knowledge with other hammock
            enthusiasts.
            > This will be an easy overnighter with an enjoyable 5-mile one-way
            > hike from the cars. We will meet mid-morning Saturday and hike
            > together to the campsite, returning to the cars on Sunday.
            >
            > Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of
            > the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun late-summer weekend.
            > Previous trips were run in Feb and April of this year and we had a
            > lot of fun; this is another chance for hammockers to show their
            > stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new
            > way'. Meet old friends and make new ones! Check out the newest
            stay-warm gear! Everyone will be responsible for his or her own
            > transportation, gear, food and behavior; however, we will meet at
            the trailhead and hike in together.

            > The plan is to camp on the famous Mountains-To-Sea Trail along
            North Harper Creek in the Pisgah National Forest near Mortimer,
            Caldwell Co, NC (between Blowing Rock and Lenoir, NC; about 40 miles
            NW of Hickory, 20 miles NW of Lenoir, and 15 miles north of
            Morganton, NC.
            > Access is via Interstate 40, NC-181 or US-321). This area, The
            > Wilson Creek Wild and Scenic River area is NC's secret wilderness
            > treasure with numerous unspoiled mountain streams and spectacular
            > waterfalls.
            >
            > We will hike in 4 miles along the beautiful cascading North Harper
            > Creek, a tributary of Wilson Creek. We will camp Saturday nite and
            > hike out 1 mile on Sunday. We will shuttle a vehicle/s to each
            end. There will be plenty of time for visiting waterfalls and
            swimming in the creek.

            > The hike requires 8 stream crossings--this means fording rocky
            > streams in ankle-to knee-deep swift water! The water should still
            be comfortably warm with autumn just nipping at our heels. Fabric
            > tennis shoes or sandals with secure straps are recommended for the
            > crossings--wearing the same shoes for the hike in eliminates the
            need to change at each crossing. Extra dry shoes for camp are
            > recommended. Expect one stream crossing on the way out Sunday.
            > Carrying two hiking poles/staffs will make the crossings safer.
            >
            > Camp will be a large open grove of holly trees on a flat bench
            along the creek--plenty of room for up to 30 hammocks, plus unlimited
            space for tents or tarps. We will begin the hike at 11am on Saturday
            (plan for snack lunch at Harper Creek Falls, 1.3 miles in). The 4-
            mile hike in on Saturday is moderate, while the 1-mile hike out on
            Sunday is strenuous. We will shuttle back to the cars by mid-day on
            Sunday.

            > Expect daytime temps of 40-75F and nighttime temps of 25-50F. It's
            > generally still quite warm and mild this time of the year, however
            > passing cold fronts can drop the temperature significantly. Should
            > fowl weather cause the trip to be canceled, notices will be emailed
            > to individuals as well as posted on Hammock Camping-L
            >
            > Access is from Lenoir or Morganton, NC; both accessible via I-40
            > and/or US-321. On I-40, Morganton is about 55 miles east of
            > Asheville and 95 miles west of Winston-Salem. Detailed driving
            > directions to the trailhead are given below.
            >
            > There are plenty of additional spectacular trails in this area for
            > folks looking for more adventure before or after the weekend--
            hiking, kayaking, fishing, waterfalls, etc! Expect some early fall
            colors.

            appreciated--you may email me at: ed@s... or call (828) 724-4444

            > Hope to see everyone September 20th! ....Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
              > Our next Hammock Hangers Campout is coming up weekend after next!
              > Everyone is welcome! About 7 hammockers have already signed up so
              > it's promissing to be a good turn out.

              Oh how envious I am...When can we plan one for the West Coast,
              preferably up in the PNW? Please, please, pretty please...

              > The temps here in western NC have begun their slide toward Fall--
              > ideal weather for camping is with us again!

              I sure miss the fall back east. I grew up in the Catskills, and I
              REALLY miss the cool, dry weather of the fall. As you say, ideal
              for hiking and camping.

              Hope you get good turnout and great weather. Have fun.

              Mirage (the other Shane)...
            • Thomas Peltier
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003

                Oh how envious I am...When can we plan one for the West Coast,
                preferably up in the PNW? Please, please, pretty please...

                Sounds like those of us on the W.C. should plan our own little get together.  I’m in California and on the Southern end So I’m thinking we should meet someplace in the middle.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
                  Message
                  Good idea Mirage...anyone can host a Hammock Hangers Association campout--anywhere, anytime.  So, next time you're headed out with the o' hammock--announce it on the list and before you know it, you've got a group together!  It really is that easy--OK it may help to know the route and campsite well enough to be sure it is suitable for everyone.  Or if headed into unfamiliar country, you could limit it to experienced hammockers only.  Either way, it really is fun to get a bunch of hammock hangers together!  The gear talk is about as good as it gets!  And before it's over, you've found some great new friends!  Hope you can get out soon either with or without others...Ed

                  Hammock Camping  (the book)
                  The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom

                  Speer Hammocks, Inc
                  Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                  34 Clear Creek Road
                  Marion, NC 28752-6407
                  828.724.4444

                  Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                  free online newsletter

                  Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                  a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts

                • karens62@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
                    Ed wrote:

                    "anyone can host a Hammock Hangers Association campout--anywhere, anytime.  So, next time you're headed out with the o' hammock--announce it on the list and before you know it, you've got a group together!  It really is that easy--OK it may help to know the route and campsite well enough to be sure it is suitable for everyone."

                    And Ed and I have lots and lots of frequent flyer miles so you never know who might show up!

                    Karen
                  • Thomas Peltier
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
                      Message

                      Good idea Mirage...anyone can host a Hammock Hangers Association campout--anywhere, anytime.  So, next time you're headed out with the o' hammock--announce it on the list and before you know it, you've got a group together!  It really is that easy--OK it may help to know the route and campsite well enough to be sure it is suitable for everyone.  Or if headed into unfamiliar country, you could limit it to experienced hammockers only.  Either way, it really is fun to get a bunch of hammock hangers together!  The gear talk is about as good as it gets!  And before it's over, you've found some great new friends!  Hope you can get out soon either with or without others...Ed

                       In that case I’m headed to Mineral King this weekend if anybody wants to join me.  We will be leaving from the Mineral King trail head past the Ranger station.  The target is Eagle lake but we are talking about going to the last of the Mosquito lakes.  If anybody is interested let me know and we can firm up our plans so as to be found or joined.

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 14, 2003
                        We currently have 7 hammock hangers signed up for our overnight
                        campout next Saturday, so it promisses to be a good group. Everyone
                        is welcome--see message 2835 or the Sep newsletter for details.

                        We're watching hurrican Isabel very closely! Today, Sunday, it
                        appears it will pass to the east on Fri well before our trip on Sat.
                        However it could dump rain causing the creek crossings to be
                        impassable--will keep an eye on the storm and post updates as
                        needed...Ed
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 17, 2003
                          > We currently have 7 hammock hangers signed up for our overnight
                          > campout next Saturday, so it promisses to be a good group.
                          Everyone
                          > is welcome--see message 2835 or the Sep newsletter for details.
                          >
                          > We're watching hurrican Isabel very closely! Today, Sunday, it
                          > appears it will pass to the east on Fri well before our trip on
                          Sat.
                          > However it could dump rain causing the creek crossings to be
                          > impassable--will keep an eye on the storm and post updates as
                          > needed...Ed

                          Good News Hammock Hangers! Hurricane Isabel will pass well to the
                          east of us, so I don't expect her to interfer with our campout this
                          weekend. She is projected to hit the coast of NC mid day tomorrow,
                          Thursday, and then pass to the north being completely out of NC by
                          Friday am. We may get some wind and rain (50% chance) in west
                          central NC on Thurday, but it should all be over by Fri and the
                          weekend is forecast to be sunny, hi's in 80's and lows in 60's--
                          perfect for our campout! So I will be at the trailhead as planned at
                          11:00 am Sat--Hope to see everyone there! See message 2293 or 2835
                          or the Aug or Sep Newsletters for trip description and driving
                          directions...Ed
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 18, 2003
                            Isabel is gone! Actually she hardly even got here--so our Hammock
                            Hangers Campout this Saturday is still on! We got some high clouds
                            and 12 mph winds here in western NC; didn't even get any rain.
                            Eastern NC was not so lucky...

                            The forecast for Sat and Sun is "partly cloudy, hi 80, lo 60" We can
                            expect maybe 50F low since we will camp beside a mountain stream.
                            Even so, Isabel is leaving very warm air behind, making out campout
                            weather just about perfect!

                            Remember everyone is welcome--currently we have 6 signed up. If
                            interested, the trip description and driving directions can be found
                            in message 2293 in the archives at:
                            or the September newsletter at:
                            http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Sep2003.htm

                            Join us for summer's last hurrah! ...Ed
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 22, 2003
                              The weather was perfect for our Hammock Hangers trip this past
                              weekend! Early Fall temps, bright sunny skies during the day, and
                              starry skies at night made the campout enjoyable and peaceful. Karen
                              and I hiked in from the north trailhead Friday night and set up our
                              hammocks in the dark; on Sat am, I hiked out and drove to the south
                              trailhead where I met Susan and Trey. After shuttling a car back to
                              the north trailhead, the three of us hiked the 4 miles north along
                              North Harper Creek to our campsite. It wasn't long before Trey
                              pulled out some of Susan's wonder cake and I was hooked (see the
                              recipe for this 'Candied Light Fruitcake' in message 2931). Thanks
                              Susan!

                              We arrived mid afternoon and rejoined Karen, who was spending a long-
                              overdue relaxing day in camp--napping, reading, and cooling off in
                              the creek. We quickly set up a hammock for Susan, who got her first
                              taste of the good camp life--she soon was swinging like a pro! Trey,
                              also tried the hammock and agreed on it's comfort and convenience.
                              The rest of the afternoon was spend relaxing in camp and getting to
                              know each other. Conversation continued thru dinner and, as darkness
                              fell, around a small campfire. For the second night, Karen & I did
                              not set up our tarps--instead we enjoyed the stars thru the thick
                              canopy of Holly trees. Around 3am, the bright moon was out sending
                              shafts of soft pale light thru the trees. Waking up Sun am in an
                              open hammock, under the trees was quite remarkable--a few birds were
                              about, the creek was cascading nearby and all was right with the
                              world. After breakfast, we packed up and headed out, reaching the
                              car by 11; soon it was time to say goodby. All the best to Susan and
                              Trey for joining us--we hope to see you again.

                              Several folks had to cancel out of this trip at the last minute--
                              sorry you didn't make it, but we plan to do another one soon.
                              Perhaps a cold weather campout in Dec. ...Ed & Karen

                              > Hope to see everyone September 20th! ....Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
                            • Coy
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 22, 2003
                                Hi Ed

                                Sounds like a great trip. I looked some of the pictures of the area
                                and it sure is a nice location. I would have loved to join in.
                                Sounds like I missed some good eating, swimming, hiking, and just
                                plain old campfire talk. It would have neen nice to see you and
                                Karen again and meet the newcommers, Susan and Tray. Maybe next
                                time. Keep us posted on the possible location and date for a winter
                                gathering. I would be game if I can fit it in my schedual and
                                budget. Dang high gas prices.

                                Coy Boy
                                PS are yall going to post any pics?

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 22, 2003
                                  Message
                                  Hopefully Karen will post a couple of pics...Ed