MacGyver report

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 88 , Apr 29, 2010
      Yesterday I noted:

      "I've changed the ropes (former owner had substituted webbing, which was heavy) and have thought about insulation underneath. Got a new setup rigged that I'll put out tomorrow and try tomorrow night. I'm sure I'll like this when I get it worked out."

      Well, that didn't work. I used regular nylon rope from the hardware store and as soon as I got into the hammock it stretched out and I was on the ground.

      Thinking I might have better luck w/ this whole system if I get a replacement set of tree huggers and good hammock rope. and try to reproduce the original hanging system. Since this setup was already altered when I got it, I don't know what the original rope/tree hugger system looks like, except for pictures on the Hennessy website. The prior owner replaced the ridgeline (his broke, I've read some posts from you-all about that happening when strung too tight) and tied it to about 10 inches of cord protruding out of the ends and tied into loops. I think I'd remove that and tie the entire length of new rope to the ends of the ridgeline. How much rope do I need if I get the 42" tree huggers that fit up to a 15-inch tree?

      With no success this evening, I decided to set up my tent but then couldn't find the poles. Where the heck could I have put the poles if not with the tent??? Advantage of hammock: no poles to lose. Guess I'll sleep indoors after all. Or else cowboy-camp under the stars. It's not supposed to rain and it's too early for bugs.

      One thing I don't think I like is the elastic tie-out cords for the fly. If I string them tight enough to hold the fly tight they're so tight I'm afraid they'll break. What's the advantage of elastic cords over non-elastic?

      I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier to everyone's huge encouragement and many tips. I got discouraged and put the whole thing away for a week and took a break from thinking about it. I do appreciate all the responses. I am trying again. There are so many advantages to this over the tent, I have to be able to make it work.

      That lungi garment Cara Lin and the girls were talking about.... that sounds very handy and easily-made.

      Thank you so much and please don't give up on me yet,
      MacGyver

      From: EHamilton imagainst_the_wind@...

      After a week of not testing mine, I've changed the ropes (former owner had substituted webbing, which was heavy) and have thought about insulation underneath. Got a new setup rigged that I'll put out tomorrow and try tomorrow night. I'm sure I'll like this when I get it worked out.

      MacGyver

    • Rogene Calkins
      Message 88 of 88 , May 27, 2010
        MacGyver,
        Great sounds wonderful that Tom was able to fix you up!
        Sorry I missed seeing you at Trail Days this year.
        Rogene