Trail Baking without an oven using the Sea to Summit Folding Cup and Trangia

  • LoveRise@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2010
      Greetings Kindred Spirits!

      When I go hammock camping, van or Kayak or bike camp or go backpacking, I
      like to find easy ways: meaning little mess and fuss to cook and bake.

      So a few days ago I did some experimenting with the Sea to Summit Folding
      Cup and Pinnacle Soloist with the Trangia cookset for baking without an
      oven. This would be a great option for baking while camping, backpacking, bike
      touring, rving and van dwelling. This video focuses on using this simple
      set up on the trail and camping to bake Betty Crocker Blueberry Muffin Mix
      with little fuss or mess. Yum!

      It's my first attempt to video tape a test and tutorial to post on Youtube
      and I did it all off the cuff and unscripted and I really would like to
      share it with my tribe here at Van Dwellers.

      I'd also be interested in what others do to bake when they are on the road
      when they don't have an oven at hand.

      _YouTube - No Mess Trail Baking with Sea to Summit Folding Cup, Pinnacle
      Soloist and Trangia Cookset Part 1_
      (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNVkKJfzuCU)

      _YouTube - No Mess Trail Baking with Sea to Summit Folding Cup, Pinnacle
      Soloist and Trangia Cookset Part 2_
      (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13BHuJDZpkk&feature=watch_response)

      _YouTube - No Mess Trail Baking with Sea to Summit Folding Cup, Pinnacle
      Soloist and Trangia Cookset Part 3_
      (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dPZAoXxxk&feature=watch_response)

      Celebrate Life!

      Laurie (http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveRise) _YouTube - Hiking Castle
      Rock_ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8dvNx4LqzY)

      "Make the journey worthy of the destination"

    • ratsmouth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2010
        Well, when I go kayak camping, I splurge and drag along a very small
        Dutch oven! As long as I don't have to portage much, that thing always
        goes with me. I've also "baked" by steaming, in a pinch.

        Ratty

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2010
          The simplest camp baker I've found is to take some dry rocks of the ground
          (not rocks with moisture inside of then) inside the bottom of your cook pot
          and place your muffin tin. metal cup or heat resistant silicone muffin pan
          inside the pot and bake. You might need to add a bit of water if you cook
          pot is non stick coated.
          Rogene