Re: [Hammock Camping] Need help!

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 20 11:10 PM
      Like others, I almost immediately ditched pads for a JacksRBetter
      underquilt: nest. I found I need some sort of bottom insulation as soon
      as the temperature gets below 27*C (about 80*F). The thing is, I'm cold
      with the JRB nest when the temperatures get below 8*C (47*F)--and that's
      when there's no wind. Then, I have to put the pad back inside AND I
      have to use spare clothes, stuffsacs, etc, to keep shoulders and knees
      and heels warm. Messing with all the sacs and pads and clothes and
      things makes even more of a hassle my midnight runs to the bathroom.

      I use Hennessey's Backpacker Asym when in the field. I bought the
      mid-sized McCat tarp for improved coverage. Even when the temperatures
      are near 0*C, though, I don't want to use the tarp if it is clear. The
      best thing about the hammock is being able to see stars again.

      I've not had any trouble with the JacksRBetter No-sniveller keeping the
      top side of me warm enough down to 0*C. It's always been the bottom
      side that's difficult. I'm now 'saving' up the money for JRB's Mt.
      Washington quilt.

      CL
      who is gradually facing the fact that when hiking in subtropical
      Taiwan's sub-alpine zone, hammocks are just heavier than
      tents--temperatures here can approach 0*C any time of the year.