Hammock poetry

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20 9:07 PM
      A few years ago I challenged the Hammocking Forum to write some hammock
      poetry.

      This is what we ended up with.

      Enjoy

      Anybody else got some updated ideas??

      Ralph

      beneath stars I float
      a dream in the forest night
      wakes to spring morning

      ---
      André

      mr. sandman comes

      so easily
      It's hard to believe
      it's minus three
      wrapped up warm
      in my hammock
      sleeping peacefully

      errr... first post and I'm spouting poetry.

      titanium

      Hangers

      Ground people sleep in tarp and tent
      Wondering where all their sleep went.
      Fighting the rock, the root, the cone.
      Where is my sleep? Here all alone.
      Vis'ted by ants, snakes, skunks and slugs
      Down in the mud with all the bugs.

      By all accounts, we came from dust,
      It doesn't mean, sleep there we must.
      Tree people hang by strap and rope
      Over the ground, above the slope
      While in our dreams, we could then fly
      Hanging there 'neath earth and sky

      Ralph Oborn

      Hangers II (much better)

      Ground people sleep in tarp, leanto, or tent
      Squandering their nights in restless torment.
      Fighting the rocks, roots, sticks, and cones.
      Moaning and groaning, Oh!, my aching bones!
      Vis'ted by mice, snakes, skunks and slugs;
      Nightmares in mud with ants, spiders, and bugs.

      Tree people are suspended by strap and rope
      Above the hard ground, mud, rocks, and slope.
      Rocked by the breezes, our cares float away;
      Tired muscles relax, as gently we sway.
      Then off to dreamland we blissfully fly,
      Cradled securely 'tween earth and sky

      Ralph Oborn (revised by Patti Binder)

      there was an old man from mcbannock
      who liked to get sleep in a hammock
      he awoke with a start
      as his main rope did part
      and loudly said "well goddammock"

      Moz

      sleep soft under stars
      warm comfort from winter chill
      hammock swings gently

      Moz

      Lying between nylon cozy and warm
      Enjoying flashes and rumbles from the nearing storm
      I thank the good Lord for my Hennessy and for trees
      Then slowly drift off, swaying gently in the evening breeze

      Jamie in AZ

      the ground was hard, or so I'm told,
      sloped a little down the fold,
      a bit of rain came down the slope,
      wetting sleeping bags, they mope,
      a big raccoon was bothersome,
      they say that no, it was no fun,
      and creepie-crawlies everywhere,
      plus condensation from thin air.

      Only I missed this adventure.
      Sleeping in my hammock's center
      until coffee smell did wake me...
      thank god tenters get up early!

      ---
      André

      A poem (By apfel, but also by Pooh)

      When it snows, tiddley pom
      the more it blows, tiddley pom

      And though hammocks sway, tiddley pom
      they do not weigh, tiddley pom

      Above my tarp, tiddley pom
      The birds do lark, tiddley pom

      And noone knows, tiddley pom
      How cold my nose, tiddley pom
      How cold my nose, tiddley pom
      Is growing

      Shanes Effort(s)

      T'was the night before summit, and all on the ground,
      Not a hiker was sleeping; no campsite was found.
      The walkers were vexed by ground so unstable
      No flat spot was found the size of a table.

      The campers tried nestling on top of their packs,
      but the lumps and the bumps were twisting their backs.
      Try though they might, no rest could they find,
      And one did exclaim, "My poor aching behind!"

      When out from the trail there arose such a clatter,
      They sprang from their bags to check out the matter.
      Downward they looked with their aches and their pains
      From their long sleepless evening they felt quite insane

      The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
      Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
      When, what to their wondering eyes should appear,
      But a fantastic sleigh, and eight ginormous reindeer,

      With a little old driver, with huge hiker gams,
      I knew in a moment it must be St. Ham.
      More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
      And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:

      "Now, Speer! now, Hennessy! now Bana and Byer!
      On, Bliss! on Jungle!, on Amazonas! and Lyer!
      To the top of the hill now! to the top of the wall!
      Now stop yo'self! stop yo'self! stop yo'self all!"

      As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
      When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
      So up to the switchback the coursers they flew,
      With the sleigh full of hammocks, and St. Ham too.

      And then, in a twinkling, he tossed out a sack,
      then another, and another, and they all just stared back.
      As my bag slipped away, and fell to the ground,
      St. Ham jumped from the sleigh with one mighty bound.

      He was dressed all in Gore-Tex, from his head to his foot,
      And he looked quite refreshed with his well-rested look.
      A bag full of tarps he had flung on his back,
      And he looked like a thru-hiker opening his pack.

      His eyes -- how they twinkled -- his dimples how merry!
      His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
      His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
      And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow.

      The stump of a Slim-Jim he held tight in his teeth,
      And hiker stench encircled his head like a wreath.
      He had a broad face and hands that were strong,
      And as he strung hammocks, he sung a fine song.

      "Woe to you groundling, with the rocks and the roots
      Without enough enough sense to take off your boots!
      Watch this now and closely, I'll just show you twice;
      Once you can do this, you'll escape snakes and mice!"

      He tied up the beds, and lined them with care
      With pads and thick bags and a pillow to spare
      A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
      Soon gave me to know I would sleep like the dead.

      He spoke not a word, but kept straight to his work,
      He tied all the knots; which he cinched with a jerk,
      He drove in some stakes, and strung up a tarp,
      then pulled them all tightly in the quickening dark.

      He sprang to his sleigh, to his teams gave a whistle,
      And downward they slid off the hill like a missle.
      But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
      "Happy Hammocking to all, and to all a good-night!"

      Oh, that's just a quickie. I can do Rhyme of the Ancient Hammocker too...

      PART THE FIRST

      It is an ancient hammocker,
      And he stoppeth one of three.
      "By thy long grey beard and glittering eye,
      Now wherefore stopp'st thou me?

      "The Bridegroom's doors are opened wide,
      And I am next of kin;
      The guests are met, the feast is set:
      May'st hear the merry din."

      He holds him with his skinny hand,
      "There was a hammock," quoth he.
      "Hold off! unhand me, greybeard loon!"
      Eftsoons his hand dropt he.

      He holds him with his glittering eye -
      The wedding-guest stood still,
      And listens like a three years' child:
      The Hammocker hath his will.

      Somehow, though, that's not quite as good. ;)

      Shane

      > Quick !!!
      >
      > Somebody beat Shane to the Walrus and the Carpenter"

      Lou had much better drugs than I do...

      More Shane
      > And the Gettysburg address

      Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent,
      a new sleep system, conceived in Comfort, and dedicated to the proposition
      that all people should sleep well in the wilderness.

      > Is nothing sacred???

      Wrong list... ;)

      Shane

      Is nothing sacred?

      My heartfelt apologies to Ted Geisel, but I couldn't help myself. (I
      blame Shane)

      Ralph

      THE HAMMOCK MAN

      Sam I am,

      I am Sam
      I am Sam,

      Sam I am

      That Sam-I-am!
      That Sam-I-am!
      I do not like that Sam-I-am!

      Do you like hammocks, man?

      I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
      I do not like hammocks, Sam.

      Would you like them here or there?

      I would not like them here or there.
      I would not like them anywhere.
      I do not like hammocks, Sam.
      I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

      Would you like them in a house?
      Would you like them with a mouse?

      I do not like them in a house.
      I do not like them with a mouse.
      I do not like them here or there.
      I do not like them anywhere.
      I do not like hammocks, Sam.
      I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

      Would you use them in a box?
      Would you use them with a fox?

      Not in a box.
      Not with a fox.
      Not in a house.
      Not with a mouse.
      I would not use them here or there.
      I would not use them anywhere.
      I would not use hammocks, Sam.
      I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

      Would you? Could you?
      Hang from a car?
      Use them! Use them!
      Here they are.

      I would not, could not, hang from a car.

      You may like them.
      You will see.
      You may like to hang from a tree!

      I would not, could not hang from a tree.
      Not in a car! You let me be!

      I do not hang them in a box.
      I do not hang them with a fox.
      I do not hang them in a house.
      I do not hang them with a mouse.
      I do not hang them here or there.
      I do not hang them anywhere.
      I do not hang hammocks, Sam.
      I do not hang them, Sam-I-am.

      A train! A train!
      A train! A train!
      Could you, would you, tie on a train?

      Not on a train! Not in a tree!
      Not in a car! Sam! Let me be!

      I would not, could not, tie in a box.
      I could not, would not, tie with a fox.
      I will not tie them with a mouse.
      I will not tie them in a house.
      i will not tie them here or there.
      I will not tie them anywhere.
      I do not tie hammocks, Sam.
      I do not tie them, Sam-I-am.

      Say!
      In the dark?
      Here in the dark, under a tarp!
      Would you, could you, sleep in the dark, under a tarp?

      I would not, could not,
      Sleep in the dark, under a tarp.

      Would you, could you,
      in the rain?

      Are you insane?
      I would not, could not, in the rain.
      Not in the dark under a tarp. Not on a train.
      Not in a car. Not in a tree.
      I do not like them, Sam, you see.
      Not in a house. Not in a box.
      Not with a mouse. Not with a fox.
      I will not put them here or there.
      I do not put them anywhere!

      You do not like hammocks?

      I do not like hammocks,
      Sam-I-am.

      Could you, would you with a goat?

      I would not, could not, set up with a goat!

      Would you, could you, set up on a boat?

      I could not, would not, set up on a boat.
      I will not, will not, set up with a goat.
      I will not hang them in the rain.
      I will not hang them on a train.
      Not hang in the dark! Not hang in a tree!
      Not sleep in a car! You let me be!
      I do not tie them in a box.
      I do not tie them with a fox.
      I will not use them in a house.
      I do not use them with a mouse.
      I do not like them here or there.
      I do not like them ANYWHERE

      I do not like hammocks, Sam!

      I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

      You do not like them.
      So you say.
      Try them! Try them!
      And you may.
      Try them and you may, I say.

      Sam!
      If you will let me be, I will try them.
      You will see.

      Say!
      I like hammocks!
      I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!
      And I would set up in a boat.
      And I would set up with a goat...

      And I will hang them in the rain.
      And hang in the dark. And hang on a train.
      And hang in a car. And hang in a tree.
      They are so good, so good, you see!

      So I will tie them in a box.
      And I will tie them with a fox.
      And I will tie them in a house.
      And I will tie them with a mouse.
      And I will tie them here and there.
      Say! I will tie them ANYWHERE!

      I do so like
      Hammocks, Sam!
      Thank you!
      Thank you,
      Sam-I-am!

      Now what should we eat?

      Butchered by Ralph

      > But I can assure you that NO one in Nantucket sleeps in hammocks...
      Ralph

      Eh...

      There was an old man from Nantucket
      Whose quilt was so wide he could tuck it
      In a hammock cocoon
      He slept until noon
      While the tenters bailed water with buckets

      JWJ :)