Re: [Hammock Camping] Back with questions

  • Rogene Calkins
    Message 1 of 88 , Apr 20, 2010
      MacGyver,

      I have a few suggestions for you with the understanding that you will work
      out your own bugs to your satisfaction.

      >1.) Where do you put all your gear -- pack, boots, etc.

      I hang them from a beanier just at the distal end of the opening which lets
      them hang just oustide the hennesy. The veclro just bypasses the stirng to
      close up tight. You do have to put a knot in the ridge line to keep them
      from sliding around. The small piece of string that lets the pack and boots
      hang from there with a beanier is not much added weight. Most of the small
      stuff like my glasses flashlight etc fits in the ridgeline pocket. I use a
      knots at both ends of the pocket in the ridge line to keep it from sliding
      beyond my reach. It's nice to have my boots suspended from rain and water
      and not inside stinking the place up. If you want you can cover these with
      seperate free plastic grocery bags to keep wind bown mositure and dew
      dampness down.
      I've never found the pack under my feet to stay put so I just hang it out of
      the opening were I can get things out of it in the rain too. I have
      restlees legs so tend to kick open the velcro opening so I kick out the pack
      too. My feet in my sleeping bag do not seam to mind sticking out a bit when
      I get tot resless. In codler weather I don't worry about skeeters getting
      inside with me.

      2.) It seems colder than the tent.

      Yes it is
      as the wind underneath can robb you of heat.
      The ground can do that too in a tent if it's frozen solid thus a insulation
      pad barrier is necessarey in both a tent and a hammock. I break the wind
      with a mylar sheet and use a down air mattrees in cold weather and add a
      SPE (segmated pad extension) Ed Spears makes with a closed cell pad also
      under the down air matress. It; my frame for my backpack any way.
      My issues with this is that with my restless feet I am tossing and turning
      all night long and the pads tend to move on top of me. In warmer weather I
      can get away with using my 3/4 big Angus air mattress. My artirits and
      bursitis mandates a pad under my hips other wise I'd try to go without a pad
      in summer and use just the closed cell SPE in case it dipps dowm colder..
      I haven't tired this out yet but I'm thinking of making a light weight pad
      pillow case and try to tie the top of the case to the head of the end tie
      outs and see if that helps with all the sliding around if not I'm thiking
      of adding the same to all four corners of the pillow case.
      I can wiggle so much my sleeping bag gets wrapped around me like a boa
      constrictor.
      I've tried a hammock with a pocket underneath for the pad but found the pad
      hung an inch or two under my body.
      That was an Ed Spears type hamock so I just turned the hammock inside out
      which kept the cushion helping the arthritis. My next try will be a wide
      neoair when I can afford to purchase and wish they would make a 3/4 one with
      wings for the shoulders and a larger womans hips.

      >3.) Not much headroom when sitting up.... maybe learn to do everything
      >(bath, etc.) while standing in it w/ feet on the ground, and everything
      >else lying down?

      I must be a lot shorter than you as I can sit up just fine.
      Our Tiawan friend Cara suggests a lungi for bathing which would work well
      with teh hennesy hammock staidn up in the opening..

      4.) Back to being cold.... seemed like more "fresh air" than I ............
      Maybe pitch the tarp lower? (I had it on a separate ridgeline about 6" above
      the hammock ridgeline.)

      The idea in cold weather is to keep the wind and cold out by pitching the
      tarp close into your hammock.

      >I am positive I'm going to like this setup once I get the "hang" of it. In
      >the meantime, I need help!

      Give Rosaleen on this list your phone number she can walk you through a
      bunch of options that work for women.
      She has a P.H.D. in Hennesy hammocks.

      Rogene
    • Rogene Calkins
      Message 88 of 88 , May 27 2:53 AM
        MacGyver,
        Great sounds wonderful that Tom was able to fix you up!
        Sorry I missed seeing you at Trail Days this year.
        Rogene