Re: [Hammock Camping] Need help!

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
      OK, above the hammock, but under the tarp. I'm getting closer (warmer?) to picturing what you're describing. Longitudinal to the ridgeline, but looser, so it's below the hammock? or what?

      MacGyver (who maybe should change her Trail name)

      ________________________________
      From: Richard Perlman richard@...

      I rig the gear line above the hammock and hang my pack and shoes towards
      the ends.

      Rich

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
        Like others, I almost immediately ditched pads for a JacksRBetter
        underquilt: nest. I found I need some sort of bottom insulation as soon
        as the temperature gets below 27*C (about 80*F). The thing is, I'm cold
        with the JRB nest when the temperatures get below 8*C (47*F)--and that's
        when there's no wind. Then, I have to put the pad back inside AND I
        have to use spare clothes, stuffsacs, etc, to keep shoulders and knees
        and heels warm. Messing with all the sacs and pads and clothes and
        things makes even more of a hassle my midnight runs to the bathroom.

        I use Hennessey's Backpacker Asym when in the field. I bought the
        mid-sized McCat tarp for improved coverage. Even when the temperatures
        are near 0*C, though, I don't want to use the tarp if it is clear. The
        best thing about the hammock is being able to see stars again.

        I've not had any trouble with the JacksRBetter No-sniveller keeping the
        top side of me warm enough down to 0*C. It's always been the bottom
        side that's difficult. I'm now 'saving' up the money for JRB's Mt.
        Washington quilt.

        CL
        who is gradually facing the fact that when hiking in subtropical
        Taiwan's sub-alpine zone, hammocks are just heavier than
        tents--temperatures here can approach 0*C any time of the year.