Re: [Hammock Camping] Need help!

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 20 3:27 PM
      EHamilton wrote:
      > Rich -- I'll definitely try my 8 X 10 tarp instead of the original fly and/or the custom one. It's a little on the heavy side, urethane-coated nylon, but worth a try. I'm a little confused how you rig your gear line.... under the hammock? Beside the hammock? The only way I can access an external line is through the bottom flap.

      I rig the gear line above the hammock and hang my pack and shoes towards
      the ends.

      Rich

    • EHamilton
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 20 4:49 PM
        OK, above the hammock, but under the tarp. I'm getting closer (warmer?) to picturing what you're describing. Longitudinal to the ridgeline, but looser, so it's below the hammock? or what?

        MacGyver (who maybe should change her Trail name)

        ________________________________
        From: Richard Perlman richard@...

        I rig the gear line above the hammock and hang my pack and shoes towards
        the ends.

        Rich

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 20 11:10 PM
          Like others, I almost immediately ditched pads for a JacksRBetter
          underquilt: nest. I found I need some sort of bottom insulation as soon
          as the temperature gets below 27*C (about 80*F). The thing is, I'm cold
          with the JRB nest when the temperatures get below 8*C (47*F)--and that's
          when there's no wind. Then, I have to put the pad back inside AND I
          have to use spare clothes, stuffsacs, etc, to keep shoulders and knees
          and heels warm. Messing with all the sacs and pads and clothes and
          things makes even more of a hassle my midnight runs to the bathroom.

          I use Hennessey's Backpacker Asym when in the field. I bought the
          mid-sized McCat tarp for improved coverage. Even when the temperatures
          are near 0*C, though, I don't want to use the tarp if it is clear. The
          best thing about the hammock is being able to see stars again.

          I've not had any trouble with the JacksRBetter No-sniveller keeping the
          top side of me warm enough down to 0*C. It's always been the bottom
          side that's difficult. I'm now 'saving' up the money for JRB's Mt.
          Washington quilt.

          CL
          who is gradually facing the fact that when hiking in subtropical
          Taiwan's sub-alpine zone, hammocks are just heavier than
          tents--temperatures here can approach 0*C any time of the year.