Re: Lesson Learned - It's not supposed to be COLD in July!

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2003
      Coy:

      The ironic thing is that I switched from my usual GVP G4 to a new
      Gregory G pack in an effort to go smaller, since I was only going
      out for the one night. My G4 is frameless, and uses a Z-rest as a
      frame support. If I hadn't been such a gearhead and stuck with my
      original plan, I'd have been fine. My G4 is just a little too big
      for overnighters.....hmmm...since the G-pack is silnylon, I'll bet I
      could make an inner lining of reflectix that might add some
      stiffness to the pack body.....I'll have to work on that.

      Also, does anybody know where I can get tyvek in other than the huge
      rolls? My local Lowe's doesn't sell by the yard.

      Jim

      > Ed
      > Cool, Literally I'll bet by Sept 20th. I hope I'm off and can
      make
      > it.
      >
      > Jim
      > No need to fell like a dummy. I had 2 years experience under my
      > belt last summer when I went hiking in Tn. on the Fiery Gizzard
      > Trail, without a pad. It came a storm in the afternoon and cooled
      > things down which led to mid 60s for lows. I did not have a pad
      > with me. I spent a cool restless night and in fact made Cody
      switch
      > places with me for about an hour so I could warm up. He was under
      > my daughter hammock, on the ground on a ther-ma-rest. My
      daughters
      > hammock had no pad either but she did not get cold. She did not
      > hear my son and I swiching places. The differance was, she was in
      > my Crazy Crib with it's double bottom. By double bottom i mean
      the
      > 2 layes of nylon created by the "empty pad pocket. However, the
      > empty pad pocket was better than no pad pocket on my Hennessy.
      > Anyways I got on the ground from about 3 AM to 4 AM and got real
      > warm. This allowed me to sleep another hour or 2 back in the
      > hammock befor I got too cool to sleep again. By then it was
      nearly
      > daylight so I just got up and walked down to the bluff (Ravens
      > Point) about a half mile away and listened to the turkeys greet
      the
      > day. I felt a little like a turkey for going without a 10 oz pad.
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...>
      wrote:
      > > Yes, Jim I have planned a hammock hangers hike & campout for
      Sat,

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1

      065843:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Default

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1

      065843:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o72ctft/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
      > bin/au
      > > toredir?camp=556&lineid=3512844&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>
      > >
      > > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      > M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egrou
      > > pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=288744155>

      Service