Re: [Hammock Camping] Need help!

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
      Yay! I'm on the list! Now if anyone can help me (see my first post!) I'll start feeling better :-)

      MacGyver

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
        David, you have to do it yourself. I went there to see if anyone can change and I would have done it for you (I host several yahoo forums), but it has to be you. The owner/moderator (Ed) of this forum can do it, but he's probably too busy or not around.

        Go to the Home page and choose Edit Membership from the top toolbar. You have to change it from Individual Emails to No Emails.

        sandy in miami

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
          I know how to do it, just a yahoo groups mystery why it periodically
          changes itself

          Sent from my iPhone

        • EHamilton
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
            Mbiraman -- Thank you for the encouragement and links. I realize it takes learning... I need more practice before I, um, hang it up. I'm about ready to do that today, last night was rough; but so many people love hammocks so much I have to assume the problem is that I'm not doing it right. Well, right for me.... what works is different for everyone, I'm sure.

            Doug -- you mentioned warm sleep clothing -- that was going to be my next step. I'm OK on top w/ 2 thin acrylic sweaters. Feet are good in wool or acrylic socks. But all I've had on my legs is my running tights, which were my warm layer on the AT but aren't making it alone in the hammock.

            TV -- Until last night I kept noticing that despite being cold I was very comfortable. A back issue was better after sleeping in the hammock. Until last night. Fighting with the Big Agnes pad, trying all night to scoot it around, avoiding getting strangled by the ridgeline, struggling to exit past pad + sleeping bag + bag liner + the backpack I'd stored at my feet ... today my back is sore. Another sign I'm making mistakes. I'm sleeping in bed tonight :-/

            Rich -- I'll definitely try my 8 X 10 tarp instead of the original fly and/or the custom one. It's a little on the heavy side, urethane-coated nylon, but worth a try. I'm a little confused how you rig your gear line.... under the hammock? Beside the hammock? The only way I can access an external line is through the bottom flap.

            Thanks for helping, everyone! I sure hope I get this figured out. Even though we flooded Dave's inbox....

            MacGyver

          • chrislutz25@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
              The underquilt works wonders. I made one out of a surplus sleeping bag liner for my Dad and myself. Its light, but provides good wind block and warmth.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                EHamilton wrote:
                > Rich -- I'll definitely try my 8 X 10 tarp instead of the original fly and/or the custom one. It's a little on the heavy side, urethane-coated nylon, but worth a try. I'm a little confused how you rig your gear line.... under the hammock? Beside the hammock? The only way I can access an external line is through the bottom flap.

                I rig the gear line above the hammock and hang my pack and shoes towards
                the ends.

                Rich

              • EHamilton
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                  OK, above the hammock, but under the tarp. I'm getting closer (warmer?) to picturing what you're describing. Longitudinal to the ridgeline, but looser, so it's below the hammock? or what?

                  MacGyver (who maybe should change her Trail name)

                  ________________________________
                  From: Richard Perlman richard@...

                  I rig the gear line above the hammock and hang my pack and shoes towards
                  the ends.

                  Rich

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                    Like others, I almost immediately ditched pads for a JacksRBetter
                    underquilt: nest. I found I need some sort of bottom insulation as soon
                    as the temperature gets below 27*C (about 80*F). The thing is, I'm cold
                    with the JRB nest when the temperatures get below 8*C (47*F)--and that's
                    when there's no wind. Then, I have to put the pad back inside AND I
                    have to use spare clothes, stuffsacs, etc, to keep shoulders and knees
                    and heels warm. Messing with all the sacs and pads and clothes and
                    things makes even more of a hassle my midnight runs to the bathroom.

                    I use Hennessey's Backpacker Asym when in the field. I bought the
                    mid-sized McCat tarp for improved coverage. Even when the temperatures
                    are near 0*C, though, I don't want to use the tarp if it is clear. The
                    best thing about the hammock is being able to see stars again.

                    I've not had any trouble with the JacksRBetter No-sniveller keeping the
                    top side of me warm enough down to 0*C. It's always been the bottom
                    side that's difficult. I'm now 'saving' up the money for JRB's Mt.
                    Washington quilt.

                    CL
                    who is gradually facing the fact that when hiking in subtropical
                    Taiwan's sub-alpine zone, hammocks are just heavier than
                    tents--temperatures here can approach 0*C any time of the year.