Re: [Hammock Camping] Need help!

  • EHamilton
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
      Yay! I'm on the list! Now if anyone can help me (see my first post!) I'll start feeling better :-)

      MacGyver

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
        Hammocking is a bit of an art, not hard, but there's a bit of a learning curve. First i'd like to suggest you visit Just Jeff's "To The Wood's" site and also "Hammock Forums". Find Shug's video's on "hammocking for newbies" which gives allot of info. Once you join Hammock Forums you can post a question directly to Hennessy owners about the things your experiencing and you'll get specific advice that day.
        http://www.hammockforums.net/
        http://www.tothewoods.net/

        enjoy
        mbiraman

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:

        > I sent my first post with questions, forgetting I'm being moderated and the post wouldn't get to the list. I still have questions! I just spent a pretty miserable night. There have to be solutions to the issues I'm having.
        >
        > MacGyver

      • Douglas Campbell
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
          Not sure if I can help. I made my own hammock. I don't see a lot of
          traffic on this list anymore. I think they all moved over to a hammock
          camping forum of some kind. Yes, sleeping in the cold is the big challenge
          for hammocks. 30 degrees is pretty cold in a hammock. A lot of folks pay a
          lot of attention to what they wear to sleep in. Some type of insulated
          clothing is common. Fleece is mentioned a lot. A lot of people use a
          larger tarp than the one the regular Hennessey comes with. Like you said,
          you can get the sides down lower and block some of the breezes (wind chill
          becomes your constant companion in a hammock if you don't plan for it). I
          have to use pads too. I made a two layer hammock so I could put them
          between the layers where they stay put. Keep your feet warm, that makes a
          big difference. Put extra clothing or something between your hips, knees,
          shoulders and the hammock to help cure those cold spots.

          Yeah, hammocks are much better in warmer weather, but if you have a really
          good bag (a lower temp than you would normally need), good pads, warm
          clothing to sleep in, you can be pretty comfy in the colder temps. Beats
          sleeping on the cold ground.

          Good Luck.

          Doug C.

          On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:42 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>wrote:

          > I sent my first post with questions, forgetting I'm being moderated and the
          > post wouldn't get to the list. I still have questions! I just spent a pretty
          > miserable night. There have to be solutions to the issues I'm having.
          >
          > MacGyver

        • David Fox
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
            Not sure why, but periodicly I get a glut of hammocking e-mails
            filling my mailbox. It usually seems to fall around an upcoming
            hangout. I absolutely cannot afford to sift through the extra e-mails.
            So once again can the moderator take me off the daily posting traffic?
            I like to go look on the Internet when I have the time, not all the
            time!
            Thanks

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 20, 2010, at 2:11 PM, Douglas Campbell <campbell.d.p@...>
            wrote:

            > Not sure if I can help. I made my own hammock. I don't see a lot of
            > traffic on this list anymore. I think they all moved over to a
            > hammock
            > camping forum of some kind. Yes, sleeping in the cold is the big
            > challenge
            > for hammocks. 30 degrees is pretty cold in a hammock. A lot of
            > folks pay a
            > lot of attention to what they wear to sleep in. Some type of
            > insulated
            > clothing is common. Fleece is mentioned a lot. A lot of people use a
            > larger tarp than the one the regular Hennessey comes with. Like you
            > said,
            > you can get the sides down lower and block some of the breezes (wind
            > chill
            > becomes your constant companion in a hammock if you don't plan for
            > it). I
            > have to use pads too. I made a two layer hammock so I could put them
            > between the layers where they stay put. Keep your feet warm, that
            > makes a
            > big difference. Put extra clothing or something between your hips,
            > knees,
            > shoulders and the hammock to help cure those cold spots.
            >
            > Yeah, hammocks are much better in warmer weather, but if you have a
            > really
            > good bag (a lower temp than you would normally need), good pads, warm
            > clothing to sleep in, you can be pretty comfy in the colder temps.
            > Beats
            > sleeping on the cold ground.
            >
            > Good Luck.
            >
            > Doug C.
            >
            > On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:42 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...
            > >wrote:
            >

            >> I sent my first post with questions, forgetting I'm being moderated
            >> and the
            >> post wouldn't get to the list. I still have questions! I just spent
            >> a pretty
            >> miserable night. There have to be solutions to the issues I'm having.
            >>
            >> MacGyver

          • Sandy
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
              David, you have to do it yourself. I went there to see if anyone can change and I would have done it for you (I host several yahoo forums), but it has to be you. The owner/moderator (Ed) of this forum can do it, but he's probably too busy or not around.

              Go to the Home page and choose Edit Membership from the top toolbar. You have to change it from Individual Emails to No Emails.

              sandy in miami

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                I know how to do it, just a yahoo groups mystery why it periodically
                changes itself

                Sent from my iPhone

              • EHamilton
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                  Mbiraman -- Thank you for the encouragement and links. I realize it takes learning... I need more practice before I, um, hang it up. I'm about ready to do that today, last night was rough; but so many people love hammocks so much I have to assume the problem is that I'm not doing it right. Well, right for me.... what works is different for everyone, I'm sure.

                  Doug -- you mentioned warm sleep clothing -- that was going to be my next step. I'm OK on top w/ 2 thin acrylic sweaters. Feet are good in wool or acrylic socks. But all I've had on my legs is my running tights, which were my warm layer on the AT but aren't making it alone in the hammock.

                  TV -- Until last night I kept noticing that despite being cold I was very comfortable. A back issue was better after sleeping in the hammock. Until last night. Fighting with the Big Agnes pad, trying all night to scoot it around, avoiding getting strangled by the ridgeline, struggling to exit past pad + sleeping bag + bag liner + the backpack I'd stored at my feet ... today my back is sore. Another sign I'm making mistakes. I'm sleeping in bed tonight :-/

                  Rich -- I'll definitely try my 8 X 10 tarp instead of the original fly and/or the custom one. It's a little on the heavy side, urethane-coated nylon, but worth a try. I'm a little confused how you rig your gear line.... under the hammock? Beside the hammock? The only way I can access an external line is through the bottom flap.

                  Thanks for helping, everyone! I sure hope I get this figured out. Even though we flooded Dave's inbox....

                  MacGyver

                • chrislutz25@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                    The underquilt works wonders. I made one out of a surplus sleeping bag liner for my Dad and myself. Its light, but provides good wind block and warmth.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                      EHamilton wrote:
                      > Rich -- I'll definitely try my 8 X 10 tarp instead of the original fly and/or the custom one. It's a little on the heavy side, urethane-coated nylon, but worth a try. I'm a little confused how you rig your gear line.... under the hammock? Beside the hammock? The only way I can access an external line is through the bottom flap.

                      I rig the gear line above the hammock and hang my pack and shoes towards
                      the ends.

                      Rich

                    • EHamilton
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                        OK, above the hammock, but under the tarp. I'm getting closer (warmer?) to picturing what you're describing. Longitudinal to the ridgeline, but looser, so it's below the hammock? or what?

                        MacGyver (who maybe should change her Trail name)

                        ________________________________
                        From: Richard Perlman richard@...

                        I rig the gear line above the hammock and hang my pack and shoes towards
                        the ends.

                        Rich

                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                          Like others, I almost immediately ditched pads for a JacksRBetter
                          underquilt: nest. I found I need some sort of bottom insulation as soon
                          as the temperature gets below 27*C (about 80*F). The thing is, I'm cold
                          with the JRB nest when the temperatures get below 8*C (47*F)--and that's
                          when there's no wind. Then, I have to put the pad back inside AND I
                          have to use spare clothes, stuffsacs, etc, to keep shoulders and knees
                          and heels warm. Messing with all the sacs and pads and clothes and
                          things makes even more of a hassle my midnight runs to the bathroom.

                          I use Hennessey's Backpacker Asym when in the field. I bought the
                          mid-sized McCat tarp for improved coverage. Even when the temperatures
                          are near 0*C, though, I don't want to use the tarp if it is clear. The
                          best thing about the hammock is being able to see stars again.

                          I've not had any trouble with the JacksRBetter No-sniveller keeping the
                          top side of me warm enough down to 0*C. It's always been the bottom
                          side that's difficult. I'm now 'saving' up the money for JRB's Mt.
                          Washington quilt.

                          CL
                          who is gradually facing the fact that when hiking in subtropical
                          Taiwan's sub-alpine zone, hammocks are just heavier than
                          tents--temperatures here can approach 0*C any time of the year.