Hammock hiker, "K1" book, "Three Hundred Zeroes" now available.

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6 11:04 AM
      Even though I have been a member for years, I don’t post very
      often on this group, but I have to admit it has been a vast source of
      useful information for me. It directly influenced my choice of using a
      Hennessy Hammock on my hike of the A.T. I just released a book about
      that hike and the hammock figures prominently in the story.

      The title is THREE HUNDRED ZEROES. I believe this 328-page book, with 39
      photographs, tells a humorous adventure story that captures what it is
      like to hike that trail for six months with a hammock. The hike was the
      completion of a dream that started in the sixties with my younger
      brother, Tom and was fulfilled with the encouragement of my family and
      friends.

      For more information about the book, check out the website:
      ThreeHundredZeroes.com <http://ThreeHundredZeroes.com> ormy blog at
      blog.threehundredzeroes.com <http://blog.threehundredzeroes.com>
      .Please do visit the sites; I’d love to have you leave a comment
      on the blog.

      The book site does have an email address
      of:dennis@... <mailto:dennis@...>
      and that can be used for correspondence as well.

      The book can be ordered directly at this secure publisherswebsite:

      https://www.createspace.com/3428889
      <https://www.createspace.com/3428889>

      If you prefer to use an Amazon.com
      <http://www.amazon.com/Three-Hundred-Zeroes-Lessons-Appalachian/dp/14505\
      57465/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267027906&sr=1-1> account, it
      can be ordered there as well.

      If you do read the book, I would enjoy hearing your comments.I really do
      want to know if you enjoyed the book or found it useful. You might
      consider sharing your thoughts with other readers on the blog.

      Dennis “K1” Blanchard

      A.T. ’07-‘08

    • kd2vx6
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7 3:13 AM
        Hey "K1",

        Welcome!! I too have been lurking for far too long. Between your practical experience with your HH and the wealth of info I've gleaned from this group, I'm confident that I'll be "hanging" when I return to the AT.

        Kathy
        "Kit-Kat"
        KD2VX
      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7 10:25 AM
          Thank you Kit-Kat. What the readers may not realize is that not only are you a serious hiker, you're also a serious Trail Angel. When I was passing through New Hampshire with two other thru-hikers Kit-Kat dropped everything she was doing to rush out and pick us up and haul us around for resupply and wined and dined us and absolutely refused to take anything in return.

          We were stunned by the generosity and caring. Kit-Kat, and so many others like her, make hiking far more than just a fun walk in the woods. They gave me a whole new appreciation for the everyday citizens of this country.

          Enjoy your hammock Kit-Kat and see you out there on the trail!

          Dennis, "K1"
          Sarasota, FL

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kd2vx6" <kd2vx@...> wrote:

          > Hey "K1",
          >
          > Welcome!! I too have been lurking for far too long. Between your practical experience with your HH and the wealth of info I've gleaned from this group, I'm confident that I'll be "hanging" when I return to the AT.
          >
          > Kathy
          > "Kit-Kat"
          > KD2VX

        • Sandy
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 20 12:45 PM
            Ordered!! I've read 10 million steps and a slew of other AT hiking books. Armchair hiker par excellence!!

            sandy in miami

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <k1ypp@...> wrote:

            > Even though I have been a member for years, I don’t post very
            > often on this group, but I have to admit it has been a vast source of
            > useful information for me. It directly influenced my choice of using a
            > Hennessy Hammock on my hike of the A.T. I just released a book about
            > that hike and the hammock figures prominently in the story.
            >
            > The title is THREE HUNDRED ZEROES. I believe this 328-page book, with 39
            > photographs, tells a humorous adventure story that captures what it is
            > like to hike that trail for six months with a hammock. The hike was the
            > completion of a dream that started in the sixties with my younger
            > brother, Tom and was fulfilled with the encouragement of my family and
            > friends.
            >
            > For more information about the book, check out the website:
            > ThreeHundredZeroes.com <http://ThreeHundredZeroes.com> ormy blog at
            > blog.threehundredzeroes.com <http://blog.threehundredzeroes.com>
            > .Please do visit the sites; I’d love to have you leave a comment
            > on the blog.
            >
            > The book site does have an email address
            > of:dennis@... <mailto:dennis@...>
            > and that can be used for correspondence as well.
            >
            > The book can be ordered directly at this secure publisherswebsite:
            >
            > https://www.createspace.com/3428889
            > <https://www.createspace.com/3428889>
            >
            > If you prefer to use an Amazon.com
            > <http://www.amazon.com/Three-Hundred-Zeroes-Lessons-Appalachian/dp/14505\
            > 57465/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267027906&sr=1-1> account, it
            > can be ordered there as well.
            >
            > If you do read the book, I would enjoy hearing your comments.I really do
            > want to know if you enjoyed the book or found it useful. You might
            > consider sharing your thoughts with other readers on the blog.
            >
            > Dennis “K1” Blanchard
            >
            > A.T. ’07-‘08

          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20 6:23 PM
              Sandy in Miami:

              You made me chuckle. I have this vision of "Armchair Hikers" earning badges and getting certificates for reading about hiking X number of miles. Just don't start cooking your evening meals on camp stoves in front of the TV :>) I couldn't help myself...

              Dennis, "K1" Blanchard

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy" <sandykayak@...> wrote:

              > Ordered!! I've read 10 million steps and a slew of other AT hiking books. Armchair hiker par excellence!!
              >
              > sandy in miami

            • Sandy
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 21 3:19 PM
                that's it....I read the ones about senior citizens on the trail :)

                and have a bunch of DVD's. LOVE the Gossamer Gear one called (I think) Lighten UP. It's only $5.

                Lynn whelden's videos are pretty cool:

                Amazing Grace is simply amazing...Bill Irwin and his guide dog did the AT. That is humbling to watch.

                http://www.lwgear.com/

                hmmm Doc on the 'Sock is only $20. only 48 minutes, tho.

                For those of you planning thru-hikes check Lynn's DVDs.

                I have this "thing" about the AT. Goal is a modest 3-day easy hike. I joined Trail Dames and I really hope I can go with them some day. A bit awkward cos I live in Miami and am still working. Gotta whittle down that bucket list. :)

                sandy